These site spammers - what's in it for them?

Anything you would like to suggest, having problems or comments.
CNG

#1 Post by CNG »

I see fair mention on all the forums I visit of problems for the Modmins with spammers and various other nuisances. Thing is... I don't get it. I mean, if in some fit of madness Modmins gave me back-door full access to the forum tool-chest, what would do I have exactly?

1) A few thousand email addresses for users of weird fuel. Big deal.
2) Associated passwords
3) IP addresses.

I'll contain myself.

It's a bit sudden, how are we so important?
In my case, I can't remember what info you hold on me, i guarantee it's not much. The password is unique to this site for starters.

What do they want? Why do they bother?

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: These site spammers - what's in it for them?

#2 Post by Brian_H »

Some of it is simply about manulipation of search resullts - lots of links all over the internet to the same place can alter what shows up in search results for a variety of reasons.

Its generally not the aim of most to actually access the info on the forum - Passwords typically won't be readable even to the admin on all but the most basic of software, the ip address in itself is of limited use. email addresses can always be resold onto spam lists etc but theres plenty of other ways of getting them.

I can only imagine its like the email spam you get - you can easily hit many thousands of people with that for mimimal effort or cost and even if only a few respond, its worth it overall.

A lot of it is automated anyway or very close to it. What they never seem to manage to do is put together a properly spell checked post that actually makes for convincing reading.

If you get to see the overall setup of PHPbb its a bit archaic in the way it applies things and not the easiest to make sense of, I'm not sure how it compares to other forum software in that respect, though it does seem to have many more plug-ins to give extra features where needed.

Hairyloon

#3 Post by Hairyloon »

Brian_H wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:47 pmA lot of it is automated anyway or very close to it. What they never seem to manage to do is put together a properly spell checked post that actually makes for convincing reading.
I've read that the bad spelling is deliberate: they're looking for gullible people, who are less likely to notice such things.
I don't claim that is a convincing explanation, considering how bad some of it is.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#4 Post by Brian_H »

I think its a much to try and confuse the spam filtering software as much as anything, though the actual content is only part of what gets analysed by that sort of thing in any case.

CNG

#5 Post by CNG »

OK, I can see virtue in links from here to somewhere obscure for SEO purposes, and maybe a few of us run the same password for our bank account, and I can see the logic for poor spelling. This to fox search-engines and to funnel the gullible.

I was on one of the 'credit-score' sites recently and they have a 'Dark-web' service. It's possible to punch in my several email addresses, to see what comes-up. They were able to correctly show my passwords for a few obscure sites.

Tragic 'wrist-watch collecting sites' . Contain yourself... . Not my thing, I rarely visit. It's where Beemer?Audi drivers go to discuss the virtue of wearing a town-clock.
I suppose I'd be worried if these were non-unique PWs. Shan't fret. Happy to post my published on the 'Dark web' logins here if you push.

With no inate sense of self-importance, I find it hard to believe we're significant enough to bother with. Apparently we are?

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#6 Post by Brian_H »

Given the subject matter of what gets posted, its more likely that its at least partly automated and has a list of boards running phpBB to try posting to with whatever the current junk happens to be. We used to see a batch of them for advertising trainers and "real estate" for a while but those seem to have gone away now.