3.2 V6 Audi TT Conversion East Midlands - Rear Seat Delete

himselfunknown

3.2 V6 Audi TT Conversion East Midlands - Rear Seat Delete

#1 Post by himselfunknown » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi, can anybody recommend anybody to do an LPG conversion on an Audi TT in the Midlands area please?
I'm planning on deleting the rear seats (as they're next to useless anyway), and having a cylindrical tank where the rear seats would be above the petrol tank so I can have a reasonable sized tank. Thanks in advance!

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: 3.2 V6 Audi TT Conversion East Midlands - Rear Seat Delete

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:32 am

Simon, LPGC.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

LPGC
Installer

#3 Post by LPGC » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:50 am

Last time I fitted an LPG tank in place of rear seats it was on a Ford Mustang.

I think the owner went on to have the LPG tank chrome plated. He'd had loads of tuning work done on it including a different crank and cam to change the firing order, shaker air intake pending the supercharger upgrade, roll cage instead of rear seats anyway. I'd previously converted a Hemi engine'd Chrysler and 2 Hemi engine'd Jeeps for the same owner, trick engines in 2 of them.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

himselfunknown

#4 Post by himselfunknown » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:53 pm

Well I don't think I'll get the tank chrome plated, more likely to box it in and cover it with carpet! Simon - would you be able to do the conversion please? I'd imagine front end wise it would be similar to an R32, except the battery is in the boot so there's a place under the bonnet begging for the reg and ECU to live. Coolant hoses for the DSG (no longer in use, bypass joiner currently fitted) right next to it.

LPGC
Installer

#5 Post by LPGC » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:22 am

I forgot to thank Gilbert for recommending me above, thanks Gilbert.

Haven't I fixed an LPG converted vehicle for you in the past Himselfunknown?

I'm very happy to do your conversion but I am booked up until 10th January 2022 in terms of availability to do LPG conversions... I will be taking on some (more) repair jobs before then during weeks when I 'get ahead' with my schedule, most repairs on a Friday after converting 2 vehicles every week Monday to usually Thursday evening or Friday morning.. But in terms of doing conversions I couldn't fit another in between now and January unless I get a cancellation, and even then it would be fairer to bring forwards one of the many conversions where customers have asked 'If you get a cancellation please call me in earlier'.

The VR6 engine needs straws fitting, the way I do this on the VR6 depends on which of the various types of VR6 inlet plenums is fitted, it's been a while since I looked at a VR6 in a TT but the Golf R32 uses a plastic plenum that comes within around 40mm of the front crossmember and it would be a bumper off job to remove the crossmember to remove the plenum. I've put them in from underneath in the past but it's a better idea to (what I usually do now after discussion with the customer) put them in from the top but to do this the swirl flap (inlet tract length changing mechanism) has to be removed (on the Golf there is enough clearance to remove the swirl flap assembly from the passenger side of the engine). Tank fitting in position of rear seats won't be as straight forward as normal. These are things that I have to bear in mind when quoting a price... I could convert 3 maybe 4 most other vehicles in the time it would take me to do 2 of these - But that said I like to 'keep my hand in' and stay familiar with doing conversions like this. The other week I did another unusual RV, not because it was worth my while in purely financial terms (because I could have converted a few other vehicles in the same time) but because I thought it was about tine I took a booking for another one. Had to take the cab seats out of the RV to work on the engine, don't normally have to take seats out when converting a TT ;-)
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

himselfunknown

#6 Post by himselfunknown » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:26 am

Simon, thanks for the reply. I only noticed it today as I seem to have a problem with my notifications.

Yes, you did some work on my LPG Cavalier a few years ago!

I'll message you with respect to converting the TT, as it's something I'd like to do.