System Updates - March 2022

Important forum news
OnTheFenceDev

System Updates - March 2022

#1 Post by OnTheFenceDev »

As previously advised the forum board will be updated over this coming weekend, probably this Saturday evening (5th March).

The upgrade should take no longer than half-an-hour and during this time the board will be inaccessible.

It is also planned to install a new plugin which will assist in the detection and banning of spammers and other miscreants which will hopefully reduce the burden on the hard working moderators.
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Avensist

Re: System Updates - March 2022

#2 Post by Avensist »

Thank you for maintaining the site.

I also maintain a forum for my clients and got a list of IP addresses to prevent from accessing the site. If you wish, I can share those with you. Simply add them to the .htaccess files and prevents from accessing the site. They are mainly from China, Russia and Germany.

OnTheFenceDev

#3 Post by OnTheFenceDev »

Thanks - that would be great :-)

We do get the odd burst from these bots from time to time but the issue from the previous post was a sustained crawl that was effectively a Denial of Service, even if that wasn't the intention.

If you are able to PM those IP addresses I will get the server updated - thanks again
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Avensist

#4 Post by Avensist »

Just PMed you with those IP addresses...

OnTheFenceDev

#5 Post by OnTheFenceDev »

Avensist wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:07 pm Just PMed you with those IP addresses...
Thanks a lot for those - I've completed the system upgrade now so will look at getting these IP addresses etc uploaded.

OnTheFenceDev

#6 Post by OnTheFenceDev »

System upgrade has been completed and additional Anti-Spam countermeasures have been installed - hopefully we can keep them from the door a little while longer.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#7 Post by Brian_H »

Thanks Dave

Time will tell on the countermeasures, anything in that field can be a bit like whack-a-mole as they find ways around the anti-spam measures though what was here seemed fairly effective (certainly more effective than the measures on outlook.com, which can be relied on to consistantly block emails from Microsoft :oops: but is somewhat hit and miss on other emails)

Avensist

#8 Post by Avensist »

Indeed it's a whack-a-mole. Took me months to prevent this certain 'Eric' the spammer. He's quite clever or should I say his software is clever that it somehow manages to bypass captcha and amongst other measure I've put in. But now, I think I got most of his IP on the blacklisted so he is unable to enter the site in the recent weeks, though attempts to do so still appears on the log every now and then. I think he is the most annoying spammer ever!

OnTheFenceDev

#9 Post by OnTheFenceDev »

Hopefully not tempting fate - but after adding those IP addresses last night there is certainly a drop in load
lpg-forum-7days.png
lpg-forum-7days.png (100.6 KiB) Viewed 9103 times
Thanks again for those Avensist

Avensist

#10 Post by Avensist »

Thanks for the update and glad to see that things are working out. Those offending IPs are complied over the years of monitoring and analysis. Honoured to be able to share the info with you!

LPGC
Installer

#11 Post by LPGC »

Thanks Dave.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#12 Post by Gilbertd »

Thanks Dave, I'll be able to set my alarm clock 10 minutes later in the morning now knowing I won't have a stream of spam to disapprove (although it seems Brian gets up earlier than me and has often already dealt with them)....
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#13 Post by Brian_H »

There has been some reports of issues with registering new accounts - This should now be resolved, so please try again if you were unable to register previously.