Sorry it's not on the lpg register!

57jam89

Sorry it's not on the lpg register!

#1 Post by 57jam89 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:30 am

Hi all,
I've to trying to sort out insurance for my car.
My car is a rare imported Nissan Skyline 350gt and 4 insurance companies have said 'sorry we can't insurance the car because it's not on the lpg register' i didn't have this problem last year.

Anyone else had this?
Nissan Skyline 350gt Lpg fitted by Lpgc.

LPGC
Installer

Re: Sorry it's not on the lpg register!

#2 Post by LPGC » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 pm

Easily sorted Simon ;-)

Talk later maybe this evening after 8pm? (Expect to be working til then)

Simon
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

57jam89

#3 Post by 57jam89 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi Simon,
Come on hows it done?
Nissan Skyline 350gt Lpg fitted by Lpgc.

LPGC
Installer

#4 Post by LPGC » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:44 pm

PM sent
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

TNT

#5 Post by TNT » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 pm

Yep. Its a pain. I want to transfer my lpg kit from my old mk4 golf to my new one. Easy right! Nope and the register won't say it was fitted by an approved installer which might actually invalidate the insurance.

I dont think my old car kit came with the propper certificate of installation ether.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#6 Post by Brian_H » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:24 pm

Depends on your insurance company - it is something that can be fixed if you speak to an installer though.

TNT

#7 Post by TNT » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:03 pm

If i get it fitted and submit it for inpection the the listing on the lpg register will look like this.

Please note that the registration is a result of the vehicle being inspected for basic safety and emission requirements as at the day of inspection and not as a conversion by a UKLPG Approved Autogas Installer.

I suspect my insurance company may require it to be fitted by an approved installer.

My current listing for my off the road car is..

The conversion is recorded as having been undertaken by a UKLPG Approved Autogas Installer using equipment supplied by a UKLPG Accredited distributer. This means that...

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#8 Post by Brian_H » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:15 pm

The only people than can answer what your insurance company requires, is your insurance company. Though what it says on the register can largely be upto the installer - it might be worth checking with yours what he has found.

UKLPG has no actual real legal standing, its not like GasSafe for domestic installations where it is legally required and regulated.

TNT

#9 Post by TNT » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:27 pm

Yea I understand that Brian, Hence my frustration.

Fact is ether I transplant the LPG conversion arguably to the better car or I could stick the engine on my old car ( and a few days of the road to strip out the seats and dash to fix the air conditioning ) . Ether way I'll be tinkering with the LPG system about the same as getting the dud engine out and new one in as i'll need the vaporizer, injectors, many other engine parts and most of the wiring removed in order to insure it's not damaged and it'll still be on the register as fitted by an approved installer, and still be no wiser if it's actually safe or not, but they'll assume it is. It could have been messed with by any rookie in any garage who doesn't know what these parts on an LPG conversion do. It's crazy.

People don't understand that LPG is safer than petrol too. Especially with the safety solenoids in place. it's not like you can stick a rag in an LPG tank and light it up for fun.

Likewise i don't want the LPG installer to risk doing anything he shouldn't ether.

I'll triple check with the insurance in the morning, and the installer who might approve it, Probably time to start looking for a better insurance company anyway. It's also a real pain trying to get insurance for business use on a car.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#10 Post by Brian_H » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:33 pm

I know where your coming from, particularly if your doing lots of business miles on a car. Same situation here, hence multiple cars.

TNT

#11 Post by TNT » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:58 am

I got them to clarify it only needs to be on the register. However found out I'm overpaying for insurance anyway.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#12 Post by Gilbertd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Best results I've found just recently are from mustard.co.uk. Partner's daughter needed insurance for a first car, 21 years old with a provisional licence. Go Compare came out at £3050 as the best quote (for a Nissan Micra??), Mustard got it for £800, with a company you've heard of....... Just had to renew my bike insurance too, existing insurer wanted £120, similar results from the Motor Cycle News insurance comparison site while Mustard did it for £74 with a lower excess and breakdown cover too.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

TNT

#13 Post by TNT » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:19 am

Thanks Gilbertd, handy to know