King ecu compatabilty

Lpg08

King ecu compatabilty

#1 Post by Lpg08 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:45 am

Hi so i have a car that has a king ecu in it its a 2009 model and the diagnostic plug is the older square white plug.

I am got a 2nd hand ecu same brand king but its slightly newer and the car it cam of had a newer superseal tyoe diagnostic plug.

My question is can i put the newer ecu on my older wiring harness? Is there any wiring changes or are the pinouts all the same and safe to swap.

The old ecu says 2009 the newer replacement says 2011

And both have the same model no
Which is AEB2568D

Thanks

LPGC
Installer

Re: King ecu compatabilty

#2 Post by LPGC » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:11 am

Yes you can swap the newer ECU in.

First save the calibration to your laptop, then when you've swapped ECU's load the calibration file to the newer ECU.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Lpg08

#3 Post by Lpg08 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:42 am

So i swapped the ecus and now have an issue.

After starting the car there is no lpg gauge light and wont run on gas.

Laptop will connect fine but there is no information like rpm gas pressure, petrol inj timingd or indicating that its powering up.

Put the old ecu back in and same issue

I tried both ecus in another car and they work fine.

No idea what can go wrong it seems the ecu is powering up as i can connect via laptop but nothing else is.

Car was running fine before with the old ecu i just swapped it as my laptop signal would keep dropping out and thought il try another to see if it fixes it.

Besides that i never had a issue with running.

I checked all fuses and looks fine runs on petrol fine.

As far as i know the lpg harness only has two fuses one for ecu and another to tank solenoids

Both i swapped and still no good.

Also tried a known working lpg switch of the same brand and no luck.

Hope someone has some insight

Thanks

Lpg08

#4 Post by Lpg08 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:29 am

I checked the two thick red black stripe wires the are in the harness (pins in centre of plug) and they both ave voltage.

Grounds test ok to battery ground

Lpg08

#5 Post by Lpg08 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:39 am

I checked the two thick red black stripe wires the are in the harness (pins in centre of plug) and they both ave voltage.

Grounds test ok to battery ground

Lpg08

#6 Post by Lpg08 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:48 am

Pins 15 41 43 all have power to them so power isnt the issue

21 Common for injectors on bank 1 channels 1>4 (black)

This wire does not have continuity from the pin to battery side ground

22 Common (earth) for switch, temp sensors and map
This wire does not have continuity from battery to pin

50 Main earth. (thick black) Note loom connects to solenoid earth wires behind the loom cover.

This does have continuity to battery and pin.

Seems like grounding is fine aswell?

Lpg08

#7 Post by Lpg08 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:03 am

Also should mention i left the car alone for a few hours went to start it and the gas gauge did turn of for like 5 seconds yellow and green lights flashing as usual then it died

Since then nothing

Shook all the wiring still nothing

Lpg08

#8 Post by Lpg08 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:02 am

Ok so figured it out.

It was a lack of rpm signal.

So while i was swaping ecus i also did a firmware update and this is where the issues started.

In the old firmware it was set as weak spark and one coil

Same as after the firware update but with the uodate came alittle check box to the left that says revolution type which can be checked or unchecked

After the uodate it was checked and thats what was causing the issues. After i unchecked it the boxes went gray so you cant change it but everything came to life.

I have no idea what this option achieves?

Would be good to know

Thanks

LPGC
Installer

#9 Post by LPGC » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:00 am

When checked the ECU calculates RPM from the frequency of pulses on the RPM wire.
When unchecked the ECU calculates RPM from frequency of petrol injector pulses, in which case the rpm wire should not be connected.
The revolution type checkbox should be checked if the rpm wire is connected, unchecked if it's not connected. If we want RPM to be interpreted from frequency of petrol injection pulses it's a good idea to isolate the rpm wire.

If the system calculates RPM from frequency of petrol injector pulses this of course means that during over-run when petrol injectors are not being pulsed the ECU looses it's RPM reading... but that's fine because when the petrol ECU wouldn't pulse petrol injectors the LPG ECU doesn't have to pulse gas injectors either (so doesn't need to know rpm to e.g. compensate gas fuelling for rpm).

Another condition (besides over-run with petrol cut off) that can lead to no reading of RPM is when the engine has stalled. When the checkbox is unchecked the system knows the difference between petrol cut off and engine stalled by the manifold pressure reading - If the engine is on over run with petrol cut off the manifold will have engine vacuum, if the engine has stalled the manifold will be at atmospheric pressure (unless it's something like a Valvetronic which can have the manifold at atmospheric pressure even during fuel cut-off, which means the RPM wire has to be connected to prevent the system believing the engine has stalled during over-run).
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon