Filler through body removal

Yank Boy

Filler through body removal

#1 Post by Yank Boy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:00 pm

The filler in my rear wing is starting to get a bit of corrosion around it and needs sorting out before it turns in to full on rust.
If I run the car out off gas first so the tank is dry is it then safe to simply disconnect the filler pipe whilst I sort out the body work and then reconnect it.

Pinger

Re: Filler through body removal

#2 Post by Pinger » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Wait until what I have said is confirmed - but I'm pretty sure there's no need to run the tank to empty or that it would be of use anyway.
AFAIK it is the liquid LPG between the filler and the tank that you have to contend with and nothing else. Slackening a fitting at either end of the fill pipe until you hear hissing and just leaving it until the hissing stops should empty the pipe and you're good to crack on with repairs.
Like I said, wait for the above to be 'approved' but I think it is as simple as stated above.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#3 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Yes that's right. Assuming a multivalve and not a 4 hole tank, there's a non-return valve at the inlet to the tank and another at the back of the filler. So you are only looking at the pipe contents and not the whole tank full. As said, just slacken off at one end and allow the pipeful to escape.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#4 Post by Brian_H » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 pm

The only thing you might want to consider is the length of the filler pipe - the longer it is, the more gas will be in it.

Even on a 4 hole tank there is a non-return in the filler on the tank, but of course you should be cautious just in case the valve on the tank isn't working. Provided you undo it carefully and let the pressure off gradually, you should be ok. It may run for a fair few minutes if you only slacken it slightly.

Obviously do it outside if your doing the above as well.

LPGC
Installer

#5 Post by LPGC » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:09 pm

The fill one way valve in a multivalve nearly always works.

The fill one way valve on a 4 hole tank is a bit less likely to work than on a multivalve because a lot of installers over-tighten the fill valve during installation, it fits into tapered threads, the internals are then slightly crushed and the one way fill valve becomes ineffective.

Safe to remove the fill pipe with either type of tank, but slacken it partly/progressively before fully removing it and don't fully remove it until the gas in the pipe has vented and it's ascertained that gas from the tank isn't escaping.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Yank Boy

#6 Post by Yank Boy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:30 am

Thanks guys