Removing the FillLPG App from the Play Store

OnTheFenceDev

Removing the FillLPG App from the Play Store

#1 Post by OnTheFenceDev » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:31 pm

Well today a tipping point was reached and this is fair warning that I will soon be removing the FillLPG app from the Google Play Store!

DON'T PANIC..!

If you currently have the app installed it will not (to my understanding) be removed from your device (see 'Publishing Status' here => https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... er/6334282) but new users will not be able to find or install it once I flip the switch (probably towards the end of next week).

This does mean that if you change your phone you will not be able to install the app from the Play Store - but there is another way.

Because of the way Android is it is possible to install apps directly onto the device, i.e. not via the Play Store. I will be making the required installation file available from my website in due course along with detailed instructions on how to perform the installation (it's really pretty straightforward).

The app has had a good innings but it is now pretty dated and relies on a site which is no longer being maintained or updated - this is an observation, not a criticism.

Once I have compiled the app for the latest Android version and added a few additional monitoring features I will post an update here.

In the meantime, thanks to all the users who have used the app (especially those who assisted with the development, bug tracking and who left positive reviews)

[Update] - I've added a blog post to hold the installation files and some basic detail here > https://onthefencedevelopment.com/2020/ ... droid-rip/
Last edited by OnTheFenceDev on Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

OnTheFenceDev

Re: Removing the FillLPG App from the Play Store

#2 Post by OnTheFenceDev » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Quick update - I've unpublished the app in the Play Store now (there was no reason to wait really).

As mentioned above, this will not affect existing users with the app currently installed and I will be making the installation file available via my website later this week.

This installation file will contain the current version of the app - with no updates.
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#3 Post by Brian_H » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Just a quick note to say thanks for the work you have done on the app over the years, shame its had to go the way it has, but as you say its beyond your control at this point really.

It might be worth making this topic a sticky/pinned topic once you have a download link available if thats possible?

Thanks
Brian

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Dunno if this is just me but I got a message yesterday to say Station Update had encountered an error. Went into the Log Viewer and it said that the connection was being redirected and the connection may require authentication, which it did. Logged back in but I'm now getting the Station Update Encountered and Error messages again.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#5 Post by Brian_H » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:48 pm

Its not just you. It will be the same error with the website loading with that Sedoparking page I mentioned. Best to just try it again after a few seconds. I get those errors sporadically in the logs as well. No need to login again just retry it. Hopefully the other Richard will be able to take it up with his hosting provider if he gets chance to do so.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#6 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:21 am

I had to log in, it had forgotten who I was (and it was so long since I last logged in I had to go back about 6 changes of password ago). I noticed that although the logs say the update had failed, it does still update sometimes, so you are probably right, some of the time it is redirecting to the Sedoparking page.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#7 Post by Brian_H » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:27 am

The station update (download) doesn't need you to be logged in though (or to even have an account), thats only need for you to update a price on a station. The authentication message is where the app thinks your on a public wifi with a signin page (because the app isn't seeing the expected API) and is asking you to login to that. I'd suspect if you try loading filllpg on a web browser you'd find some of the time it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#8 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:39 am

Ahh, that makes sense. I noticed that the Shell Peterborough services hadn't been updated since April so I went in to confirm it. That was probably why I had to sign in.

OnTheFenceDev

#9 Post by OnTheFenceDev » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:32 pm

There were issues with the datafeed from the FillLPG website which I've (hopefully) addressed now.

The issues were caused by overseas users entering stations which contains non-English letters - the site doesn't handle these but the result is a corrupted datafeed.

I blogged about my decision to pull the app from the Play Store here => https://onthefencedevelopment.com/2020/ ... -the-plug/

I've got the final release all but sorted - I will just need to test it on my phone for a few days but it should be fine. Once I'm happy I'll post a sticky topic so that it hangs around in case people do want/need it in the future.

OnTheFenceDev

#10 Post by OnTheFenceDev » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Brian_H wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:41 pm
Just a quick note to say thanks for the work you have done on the app over the years, shame its had to go the way it has, but as you say its beyond your control at this point really.

It might be worth making this topic a sticky/pinned topic once you have a download link available if thats possible?

Thanks
Brian
Thanks Brian - the app has been an useful exercise over the years but could really do with a rewrite from the ground up but that's not really an option for me.

LPGC
Installer

#11 Post by LPGC » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:32 am

I've been talking to Dave in emails but I'll add my thanks here too Dave.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

OnTheFenceDev

#12 Post by OnTheFenceDev » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:23 am

Ok - I've made this thread Sticky and updated the original post with the link to my blog where the installer packages can be found.

There are a couple of installers on the post but they contain the same level of functionality - one is the current version as pulled from the Google Play Store and the other is that same release but it's been compiled against the later version of Android and had a few of the 3rd party libraries updated. I've also removed the bug tracking telemetry from the last version - this would send crash data to me and help me work out what was going on.

Please remember, these installers are provided as is and are totally unsupported.

mgrover

#13 Post by mgrover » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 am

as an app developer i can understand the issue. but can you atleast open source the project incase others want to bug fix/improve?

OnTheFenceDev

#14 Post by OnTheFenceDev » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:22 pm

mgrover wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 am
as an app developer i can understand the issue. but can you atleast open source the project incase others want to bug fix/improve?
I've not thought about Open Sourcing the project but to be honest I think this would be of limited use.

The code has 'evolved' over the years, starting as a Java application then being ported to Xamarin, and it is pretty ugly. As mentioned above the app really needs a rewrite from the ground up to take advantage of the improvements in the Xamarin framework (could also use Xamarin.Forms to produce an iOS version) and the Android operating system.

I'm also not 100% sure that Richard (owner of the FillLPG website) would be happy with me publishing the API endpoints that the app uses and without them there would be no point making the code available. Sure, there are other methods to get them but those are outside my control.
Last edited by OnTheFenceDev on Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgrover

#15 Post by mgrover » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:02 pm

ah fair enough so there are apis. i might drop him a message, ive got a bit of time on my hands so wouldn't mind rewriting a simple app to find nearby stations in just native android.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#16 Post by Brian_H » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:27 pm

You can upload the csv format file into Google maps (download it from the website, its the Garmin format one you want). Not sure if I had to do anything extra to it to make it work, but if I did it wasn't anything particually difficult (deleting a column possibly).

https://support.google.com/mymaps/answe ... ic=3188329 has some information on doing that. or you can muddle your way through from here > https://mymaps.google.com/

Main disadvantage with that, is you won't see the prices. But with less stations around in a lot of areas of the UK price may not be so much of a consideration.

I've tried emailing Richard but haven't had any response about the issues with the website either.