Help! How do I best foul-up my LPG/CNG gas conversion?

Budgetbond

Re: Help! How do I best foul-up my LPG/CNG gas conversion?

#21 Post by Budgetbond » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:37 am

Thanks vv much Simon, you're a hero, I share your enthusiasm for what you do, if not your technical wizardry.

I've slightly smoothed out my pipework today and yes taken out that kink a bit and removed the spoiling 'cyan' cable tie!!

The only issue I have pipework wise I don't know whether you can notice from the pics is, that the fuel pipe to the reducer slightly caresses some of the coolant and throttle body coolant hoses, runs slightly alongside the engine and goes behind the coolant reservoir along the top of the rad a bit?
And is thus on a slightly longer path.
I knew this at the time I ran and connected it for securities said I didn't know where some of my electrical cables would lie.
Any ramifications of this path at all, I may shield it or indeed move and shorten it in due course.

My map hose is connected to an existing vac pipe outlet on the manifold that should operate a 'butterfly' resonator type valve in the original air filter box, it's just after the throttle body but may be in a separate plenum (for running at low revs possibly?)
Any opinions on if that's a bad location for it?

Thanks for all your v useful comments, but today, aptly for this thread, on my first long journey coming back I got quite a big misfire and stuttering, both on petrol and lpg, and had to limp home, no leaks as far as I can tell, and although it's running rich and needs recalibrating I suspect my soldering wasn't up to scratch on my injector connections, as in the above point's, but I also suspect my vvti solenoid/filter due to other issues arisen, anyway I'll investigate a bit more tommorrow and report back on my thread, thanks.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#22 Post by Brian_H » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:54 am

A sudden failure like that is more likely a failed coil pack, particularly if seem on petrol as well. Could be another issue with ignition side, such as bad rpm wire connection of similar, or really worn plugs, though that would be more gradual.

Budgetbond

#23 Post by Budgetbond » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:41 pm

thanks Brian yes, are those the most common consequential failures if the systems not set-up right and the cars not perfect in the first place, yes it was a sudden failure and struggling to rev, ill try + investigate and report back on my thread, cheers

LPGC
Installer

#24 Post by LPGC » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Did you try turning the engine off and restarting it to see if the constant misfire stopped?

Won't hurt running the main feed to the reducer that way as long as there's no pull on any of the pipes when the engine rocks etc (you said it runs close to some pipes near the throttle body etc). A bit of gentle heat to the main feed pipe (as from running adjacent to hot water pipes) might give a small amount of pre-heating liquid gas before it reaches the reducer, won't hurt anything.

Usually we wouldn't connect to the same vacuum connection that a vac solenoid uses because when the vac solenoid is opened/closed it can cause a momentary incorrect vacuum reading. Obviously we'd never connect to the vacuum side of a vacuum reservoir etc either.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Budgetbond

#25 Post by Budgetbond » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:58 pm

Thanks Simon, I've addressed some of those fitting issues I've slightly modified the feed path, tbh I should have really chose a shorter more direct route, but as the connectors are at a risk of leaking I've rerouted it and insulated and protected a couple of pipe areas.

I've slightly moved some of the gas pipes for smoother gas flow and I've made the ecu a bit more secure and reduced the risk of water ingress a bit more, don't think with a larger ecu it's that easy.

I'm gonna monitor the map inlet vac location for now to see if it is going to necessitate drilling another nozzle in the manifold.

I've also redone some of the injector soldering and I'll monitor again for any electrical faults or anymore eml codes.

I've also had a go at trying to recalibrate it I'll update on my thread, there's quite a few connotations to deal with!!