Intake hose lenght

i860

Intake hose lenght

#1 Post by i860 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:29 am

Hi
I have my car running on LPG for a few years.
Not a big deal but can you please tell me is the length of the intake hoses are ok?
Will I gain anything if i try to make them shorter?
Doing this is kinda problem as space is limited, any suggestions?
https://imgur.com/a/iiNTlmu

i860

Re: Intake hose lenght

#2 Post by i860 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Anyone?

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#3 Post by Gilbertd » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Depends how far down the back of the block they have to run. 300mm between injector and inlet valve is normally regarded as the maximum but you don't have a lot of space there to get them much closer.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

LPGC
Installer

#4 Post by LPGC » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Depends on a lot of things, including the size (cc) of cylinders, valve timing (particularly if there are elements of running Atkinson cycle), port runner length, sequential or full group injection, diameter of hoses. X length of injection hose can be negligible for a massive engine but the same X for a smaller engine might be the equivalent volume as a high percentage of cylinder volume... Imagine a model remote control engine with a 30cc engine with a pipe length that long and that wide, plus very short inlet runner to the intake port, even the injector itself would be too big, bad results would be assured. In contrast to a big block V8 with each cylinder 1 litre in capacity and long port runners.. your pipe lengths would be negligible on the big block. Your engine will be between the two extremes, seems the installer has tried to do neat but ended up with injectors upside down and mediocre pipe lengths. But the point of gas entry into the inlet runner is more important than pipe length on most engines and it seems your installer has got point of gas entry close to petrol injectors, which is good. I doubt you'll have any problems due to pipe lengths or position of gas entry into the inlet runners but that might depend on what engine it is exactly... I have ideas about what engine it is but might as well just ask what engine it is(?) and then I'll be able to advise on whether pipe lengths etc are good.

Hazarding a guess - Looks like a Merc V6 and does have Bosch style connectors (backing up Merc / German) but can't be the most common Merc V6 around today because that engine has 12 spark plugs. Hmm the brading on the petrol supply looks very Merc too...
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#5 Post by Gilbertd » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Merc logo on the wiring loom protector is a pretty good clue too......
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

i860

#6 Post by i860 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:43 am

Hi
Thank you for replays, the engine is a v6 3.5l m272 Mercedes, "variable" (long/short run) manifold, "long" distance from the petrol injector to the intake valves.