Sensible ULEZ regulations

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Sensible ULEZ regulations

#1 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Just posted this in another thread but thought it worth sharing with everyone. Most will know that London has introduced the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) which overlaps with the Congestion Charge zone but with plans to increase it to everywhere within the North/South Circular roads from next year. While the stated intention is to reduce pollution, it appears to be nothing more than a money making scheme. You can drive any old pollution creating machine into the zone as long as you are prepared to pay £12.50 for the priviledge. So what does it do for pollution? Not a lot but it greatly increases the income for tfL.

In contrast, France and Germany have introduced a vignette scheme with a sticker for your windscreen in different colours depending on how polluting your vehicle is while for Holland and Belgium you need to register your car with their database and they tell you if you are allowed in their zones or not and police it with ANPR cameras. The French Crit Air system has 6 different colours and categories, from 0 for electric vehicles, up to 5 for Euro 3 diesels. Any pre-Euro 3 diesel (basically anything pre-2000) can't get a sticker at all. When pollution levels are high, they decide which categories can enter various Cities.

I drove through Paris on Monday. Virtually no wind and temperatures up in the high 30's (I even saw 41 on the dash at one point) so ideal for pollution. The matrix signs were showing Crit Air 3,4,5 and non-classified Prohibited. I've got a Crit Air vignette in my windscreen and a Euro 3 petrol car (as my 98 P38 Range Rover is) on petrol would have got a category 3 so prohibited. When I applied for my vignette (done online at a cost of €4.10) I notified I was running on LPG nand was issued a category 1, the same as a hybrid, so I was fine. However, I've since checked the bands to be sure and Cat 2 is Euro 6 petrol while Cat 3 is older petrol and Euro 6 diesel. Cat 4 and 5 are Euro 4 and Euro 3 diesel respectively. So on Monday, if you were driving a diesel, even a brand spanking straight out of the showroom, diesel, you couldn't drive in Paris. Made my bloody day! The German system works all the time and signs show what colour sticker you must be displaying to enter a very large number of Cities, mine is green, so I can go everywhere. In all of these cases, if you go into a zone and don't have the a sticker or have one but it's of a prohibited category, then it's a fine. €140 in the case of France.

One to bear in mind if you drive in France is that one of the Cities with restrictions, is Lyon. If driving to the South you have two choices, drive straight through the centre of Lyon or follow the signs for the ring road and add at least 30 minutes to your journey time.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Morat

Re: Sensible ULEZ regulations

#2 Post by Morat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:40 pm

I'd love to see the criteria by which the French and Germans classify LPG in the cleanest categories. It'd be nice info to spread around and try to keep LPG going in the UK.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: Sensible ULEZ regulations

#3 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Criteria are here https://www.lez-france.fr/en/informatio ... lours.html

But they'd never catch on in the UK. Banning vehicles rather than simply using them as an extra income stream, whatever next?
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.