sooty tail pipe

edge

sooty tail pipe

#1 Post by edge » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:04 pm

How can you tell if your motor is running rich?
The exhaust on my Vitara looks sooty is this a mixture thing I never noticed it on my LPG converted Freelander.
Now Tubbs has flown the coop who is nearest to Shropshire that I could get to check her out?

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: sooty tail pipe

#2 Post by Brian_H » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 pm

You could check what the lambda sensor is showing via either normal diagnostics (obd or whatever is suitable for your car) or by directly tapping the wire. If the reading looks normal it either is, or the sensor isn't working properly. It should fluctuate either side of 0.5v on most vehicles.

It does sound like it could be rich, though it may be due to using too much valve saver given your other post today as well. It would probably be a choice of either Dai (Classicsweede) or simon (LPGC) if your looking for someone from here. Neither are particularly close to you, but theres not many installers left active on here.

LairdScooby

#3 Post by LairdScooby » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:20 am

It sounds either that it's running very rich or burning oil. Have you checked the PCV system to ensure the PCV valve and hoses aren't blocked and that no other breathers are blocked on the engine?
Also check the air filter, although it won't alter the mixture too much if yours is injection, it could restrict the breather system causing oil to be drawn in when it shouldn't be.
Cheers,
Dave

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

edge

#4 Post by edge » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:55 am

I have reset the valve saver to 8 drops per min as per the suggestions so I will run her round a bit and see if it alters the sooty exhaust.As expected just when you want to get out and grovel round your car its RAINING!!