What happened to the Alternative Autofuel Association?

DodgeRover

What happened to the Alternative Autofuel Association?

#1 Post by DodgeRover » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Just going through paperwork in another attempt to convince the DVLA to change a log book over to LPG and have found a certificate from 2003 from Plexus Developments & Research down in Wales which mentions the 'Alternative Autofuel Association' and has an embossed stamp of theirs on it.
I was just curious as I've never heard of that Association before and google turns up nothing for me. I know Plexus are long gone - i believe they did kits as well as conversions.

I'm going to send the DVLA a copy and see if they will accept that as proof that its running on gas,

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: What happened to the Alternative Autofuel Association?

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:37 am

What year is the car? Is it pre-2001 so on the fix rate of road tax or after that so on the emissions based sliding scale? If it's on the sliding scale, you'll get a £10 a year discount, if it's on the fixed rate you get nothing. I tried to get my Saab changed when I first got it. All I had was a safety check certificate issued by an LPGA (former name of UKLPG) member which stated that it was properly installed but they had no idea who originally installed it. My DVLA local office said they couldn't accept that, all they could accept was an certificate or invoice for fitting it from the original installer or, if I'd fitted it myself, an invoice for the component parts from a supplier. They pointed out that the law says I have to inform them, which I had, but there was nothing to say they had to do anything with the information. They added that as it wouldn't give me a discount on the road tax, it didn't matter anyway.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

DodgeRover

#3 Post by DodgeRover » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:58 pm

Yep its the old PLG tax class, so its not going to make any difference on cost, I would just like it correct.
I did send off a load of receipts to the DVLA for LPG kit that has gone onto it but they wouldn't accept them because they don't have a registration number on them.
Anyway I found this now so I'll scan it and send it off and wait for them to send it back :lol:

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:50 pm

That's the problem since they closed all the DVLA local offices. You send stuff to Swansea, they write back, you write to them and so it goes on. When they had the office where you could go in and speak to someone, it was so much easier.

I regularly register cars imports from overseas. One thing they ask for is proof of identity and address with the application. I walked into the local office, showed my passport and council tax bill and the girl just said, "we don't need that, we know who you are...." They would then check all the documents to make sure everything was there and that was it. I recently sent one lot of papers to Swansea but put a copy (a very good colour copy admittedly) of a foreign registration document in the envelope rather than the original by mistake. Instead of a V5 I got a letter in the post pointing out my mistake and had to send the original adding another week to the process. The local office would have spotted it and it would have been dealt with the same day.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.