Canadian LPG

Yank Boy

Canadian LPG

#1 Post by Yank Boy » Thu May 12, 2016 9:09 pm

Does anyone have any experience with vehicles converted in Canada.
Are they compatable with running over here, will it need a filling adaptor etc.

LPGC
Installer

Re: Canadian LPG

#2 Post by LPGC » Thu May 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Will run over here no probs but yes will need an adaptor (or change filling point to UK bayonet type).

Simon
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#3 Post by Brian_H » Fri May 13, 2016 11:15 pm

Yank Boy wrote:Does anyone have any experience with vehicles converted in Canada.
Are they compatable with running over here, will it need a filling adaptor etc.
Just make sure it really is LPG not CNG unless you live near one of the 5 or so available stations for that over here. Its a bit more common over there than here.

LairdScooby

#4 Post by LairdScooby » Sat May 14, 2016 11:34 am

Even if the original conversion was for CNG, in theory it should still work although i would expect a bit of recalibration would be needed. However, i suspect there may be a difference in the tanks and/or the fillers and i'm most definitely unsure what would happen if a mix of the two gases ended up in the tank. maybe one of the installers could shed some light on it?

That said, if it is definitely LPG i would still suggest getting all the settings checked once you've had a tankful or three through the system for the simple reason that variations between here and Canada could cause a hiccup or two.
Cheers,
Dave

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#5 Post by Brian_H » Sat May 14, 2016 9:10 pm

LairdScooby wrote:Even if the original conversion was for CNG, in theory it should still work although i would expect a bit of recalibration would be needed. However, i suspect there may be a difference in the tanks and/or the fillers and i'm most definitely unsure what would happen if a mix of the two gases ended up in the tank. maybe one of the installers could shed some light on it?

That said, if it is definitely LPG i would still suggest getting all the settings checked once you've had a tankful or three through the system for the simple reason that variations between here and Canada could cause a hiccup or two.

No CNG is very different - Its natural gas rather than Petroleum derived gas - different tanks, different fillers, different pressures (higher) involved and different reducer. Injectors are the same and ecus generally. More importantly you could use CNG here, but the issue is around filling it up.

The Environment agency here did use some CNG fuelled vehicles over here as they have been known to turn up and catch people out at auctions thinking they are LPG. Perfectly fine if you want to go the route of either homefill or live near one of the five or so fuelling stations, but otherwise impossible to fill up with gas, though petrol should still be an option.

LairdScooby

#6 Post by LairdScooby » Sat May 14, 2016 11:17 pm

That answered that question then! :lol: :oops: I didn't realise CNG used much higher pressures but as mentioned had an inkling about the tanks and fillers.
I've run a lot of engines on Landfill Gas which is basically methane (once it's been cleaned up through filters etc) but they all ran mixer rings the size of the average car tyre, often two of these and twin turbos as well but they were quite big engines! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo