AG system on a RR with the BMW 4.4

Yank Boy

AG system on a RR with the BMW 4.4

#1 Post by Yank Boy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Anyone any experience of an AG system on a Range Rover with the BMW 4.4. I've not come across it before I was hoping to see Prinz or BRC

LPGC
Installer

Re: AG system on a RR with the BMW 4.4

#2 Post by LPGC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:03 pm

AG or AGC? Seen plenty of both on L322's.

Running OK?

Simon
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Yank Boy

#3 Post by Yank Boy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:00 am

Not bought it, I was contemplating taking a look but it's a fair trek away so I was hoping it had a premium system fitted.

A think is an AG system not an AGC although it was a bad line and the guy had a thick accent. Is one better than the other I've no experience of either?

Also it only had a 72 L tank fitted so it will be a not much Range Rover!

So I'm thinking if I need to change the tank and it's not a good system anyway I may as well get a petrol and convert that.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:01 am

If it's one you are looking at buying I'd prefer to see anything other than a Prins or BRC, at least with the others you can get the bits and software easier. AG probably means Stag and there's quite a few that have Stag systems. Admittedly most have been fitted by the done-in-a-day merchants so may not be optimally installed or set up. Is it a 72L tank or a 90L tank that takes 72L to fill? If a 90L that would be about right.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Yank Boy

#5 Post by Yank Boy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:14 pm

He said a 72l tank so I'm taking that as 60L capacity absolute max of a 200 mile range

I've done literally hundreds of thousands of miles on Prinz and BRC with zero problems. And as you say the cheaper kit seams to come with the fast fit poorer install

LPGC
Installer

#6 Post by LPGC » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:02 pm

Stag is AC, a very different system to AG.

AG has been known by various other names e.g. Teleflex, considered a premium system in Eatern Europe and not usually fitted by the done in a day brigade in the UK. Biggest issues with old and mid age AG systems are that you cannot manually map them (installers usually ordered pre-mapped vehicle specific ECUs, though in theory you could get AG to send you a file to upload to suit a vehicle - at least while when they were in production.. / Not the most reliable system particularly ECUs. / AG only made 4 cyl ECUs and though some installers fitted 2 ECus on vehicles with more than 4 cylinders most only fitted one ECU and doubled up on the LPG injectors (a method endorsed by AG with AG supplied injector splitter looms.. Works better than we might presume in most cases, AG injectors are high impedance and don't damage ECU outputs when doubled up but probably wouldn't work well on more technically demanding vehicles. / Expensive bits and problematic to repair.

Would usually prefer other systems over BRC and Prins but not AG!

Simon
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#7 Post by Brian_H » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Yank Boy wrote:He said a 72l tank so I'm taking that as 60L capacity absolute max of a 200 mile range

I've done literally hundreds of thousands of miles on Prinz and BRC with zero problems. And as you say the cheaper kit seams to come with the fast fit poorer install
Is that Prinz or Prins though? They aren't the same thing

Yank Boy

#8 Post by Yank Boy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:09 am

My typo Prins

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#9 Post by Brian_H » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Yank Boy wrote:My typo Prins
Thought that was probably the case, Prinz is anything but premium!