availabilty

tommo54

availabilty

#1 Post by tommo54 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:50 pm

Hi , I live in Cheltenham UK, in this town we have 2 LPG stations both Shell. As far as I can tell, one of them is stopping supplying LPG. The price Shell charge is 69.9p/litre..if I drive down to Bristol I can the self same stuff for 52.7p/litre,now to me this is daylight robbery?????

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: availabilty

#2 Post by Brian_H » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:35 pm

Afriad to say there is worse news to come for you. See https://autogaslimited.co.uk/the-current-situation
Relevent two lines you want from the decomissioning dates
Shell Cheltenham GL51 7AY 03/08/2020
Shell Waitrose Cheltenham GL50 3QW 28/09/2020

As far as I know, thats the only 2 stations in that area.

Shell have never been properly competitive on price compared to the supermarkets that still offer it (Asda and Morrisons, and a handful of Sainsburys stores). They are now pulling out of any support as detailed on the link above. I tend to fill at Asda in Derby if I'm heading to my mates place up that way as its cheaper than anywhere local to me. 1 of the 3 local stations is on that list, the other two are flogas stations, one Shell, the other BP.

Most of us here refer to filllpg.co.uk to see whats available. There is an app for Android devices for that site as well which shows current pricing.

Epigram

#3 Post by Epigram » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:16 pm

Yes She’ll have or are very soon going to close 90 yes ninety ninety lpg outlets. This will leave parts of the UK almost devoid of lpg fuel. Very limited provision now. Could we all get together to encourage Calor to partner with other groups to fill the gaps in provision across the Country or enter into other forms of distribution from their depots or agricultural suppliers. Autogas being wound up and Shell pulling out is really serious for us users. The Government gives £3000 towards the cost of and electric car a contribution to keep lpg vehicles running by ensuring we can get fuel would not be unreasonable.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:46 pm

The reason Shell are pulling LPG out of their forecourts is because Autogas Ltd, a collaboration between Shell and Calor is being shut down. The official reasoning for this is because of a fall in demand although I suspect there has been an internal falling out. So speaking to Calor is unlikely to go anywhere. However, a lot of remaining stations, including some Shell branded but privately owned stations, are now displaying Autogas by Flogas on their pumps. I think that the Shell owned and operated stations are gone but some of the Shell franchised stations can, if they think there is enough demand to make it worthwhile, go to an alternative supplier (such as Flogas) as Shell are no longer willing or able to supply them. I intend speaking to the manager at the Shell Peterborough A1(M) services (when he is next on site), which is owned by Extra, as the staff there confirmed that they do sell a lot of LPG. Not only do they get a lot of motorhomes coming in during the holiday season buying 100+ litres at a time, people also spend on coffee and snacks at the same time so it is lost revenue for them all round. Especially when the profit per litre on LPG is huge compared with petrol and diesel.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#5 Post by Brian_H » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:06 pm

Interestingly I was looking at Flogas (for other reasons) and found this
https://www.flogas.co.uk/stockists/sear ... s/waitrose
Currently that station is the one referenced to above. So maybe Flogas are supplying it now instead of Calor?

As said above, I wouldn't waste your time contacting Calor, they would rather rip you off for a cylinder refill than cater for autogas users now, and given almost all their depots have had it removed (even where it was selling large volumes like Swindon for example) it seems they just aren't interested in the market.

I'd suspect Calors attitude and Shell's recent $18 Billion losses are resulting in them cutting anything thats costing them money, Given their overpricing of autogas (which is probabbly more down to Calor than Shell) they have decided to give up on it. Not exactly reasonable given they were pushing people to convert up until recently although they should have made a better job of it anyway. The reasons of the network all being 20 years old is obvious nonsense given they installed it in a fair few stations within the last 5 years at most. Some might have been much older, but not the whole lot.

It will mean lost revenue from a lot of current users as personally I won't goto any of those forecourts in future to purchase petrol if they have removed LPG, I will go elsewhere if it came to that.