New car new forum

Alan Ballagh

New car new forum

#1 Post by Alan Ballagh » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 pm

Hi folks, just picked up a Honda CR-V with LPG conversion yesterday. Father in-laws car so got a good deal...... (if £900 off what he considered full retail price is good) Then I start to learn, "whats that empty oil bottle under the hood?" "No idea" "so you have never filled it up?" "No" "Have you ever filled the Aircon in the ten years you've owned it?" "No" "the engine management Light has come on on our 200 mile drive home?" "ignore that its always on and its because it runs on gas" FFS! LOL. In his defence he is over 80.
But the good news, Aircon done yesterday and its excellent. Garage said EML light was CAT end of life so nothing to do with gas and he said its honda's pre determined call that no one cares about as long as it goes through the emissions test which he said it will no problem running gas. The car is 15 years old but its absolutely mint, looks showroom new, only done 52k which is why I paid 2k for it, full service history garaged entire life and hardly used.

So Im hoping not to need much help but I was looking for this oil, found an alternative thanks to a thread here so its a great start, the valves aren't noisy so I think the lack of use has helped keep them healthy, fingers crossed anyway.

ATB

Alan

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: New car new forum

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:23 pm

Hondas do have a nasty habit of wearig out the valve seats when run on LPG (in fact, they wear them out on petrol) so the oil bottle does need filling a bit smartish. It may be Flashlube, or one of the other makes, although I think the only real difference is the viscosity.

Welcome to the forum, nice to get a few new members on here.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Alan Ballagh

#3 Post by Alan Ballagh » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:31 pm

Many thanks, yeah I switched to petrol when I discovered it. Buying some of the cheaper stuff, just wish I could find it local, even the cheaper stuff is costly.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#4 Post by Brian_H » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:09 pm

You might find either www.filllpg.co.uk or https://www.mylpg.eu/ or https://autogas.app/ to help with finding stations local to you, if your not already aware of them. Once you get some flashlube you might want to check its dosing correctly given its been empty for a long time. Depending on the dispenser fitted, it will either have some sort of adjuster on it (typically a thumbscrew with a sightglass) or have a small ecu with an adjuster on it. More likely its a manually adjusted one as I don't think the CR-V has a turbo (at least the ones I've seen don't have).

Know of 3 people with them (none of them on gas) but they all seem to love them, one of them has had 2 CR-V as their last two vehicles.

Alan Ballagh

#5 Post by Alan Ballagh » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Thanks Brian, not getting notifications so I best check my spam. Yeah its the canister with a glass window and thumbscrew. My oil will be here tomorrow, I'm hoping it doesn't use a lot because it kinda defeats the object of cheap fuel but I won't be letting it run dry any more... Annoying he never used it as now I'm listening to the tappets and thinking they sound like they could maybe do with checking/adjusting. I got the App for fuel on my way home, it was very helpful when I pulled into Cardiff Gate (the one my mother in law said I should top up) and it was removed the week before but there was an Asda 5 mins away, sorted. I will be looking for instructions on checking the dose rate of the dispenser....

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#6 Post by Brian_H » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:23 pm

You should find the ones on filllpg are more upto date now (having got more info out of Autogas I removed the various ones indicated as closed) , but it does rely on user input, if you register an account you can update prices that way. Asda would have been cheaper than that station anyway.

Correct dose rate is 1ml of fluid to 1 litre of gas used. So it doesn't use a lot if setup correctly. Start by trying to get a drop in the sight glass around every 10 seconds and see how that works out from using it. I'd give it a few minutes of running to let it refill the pipes before trying to adjust it. The better dispensers have a level sensor with a light to tell you when its low.

In theory you should get 5000 litres of gas to a 5l bottle of fluid. No idea what sort of mpg the Honda is capable of, but if you know how big the tank is (which you will by filling it) you should be able to check the dose rate from there. I think I worked out I'd get around 20k out of a 5l bottle (its cheaper to buy the 5l bottles usually, but you might want a small one to use for refilling purposes anyway).

Notifications wise it may be you don't have emails configured, if you click the notifications panel at the top, and then settings, you can check whats setup for you there. Emails will send you an email, notification will only tell you when opening the website.

Alan Ballagh

#7 Post by Alan Ballagh » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:17 am

Brian_H wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:23 pm
You should find the ones on filllpg are more upto date now (having got more info out of Autogas I removed the various ones indicated as closed) , but it does rely on user input, if you register an account you can update prices that way. Asda would have been cheaper than that station anyway.

Correct dose rate is 1ml of fluid to 1 litre of gas used. So it doesn't use a lot if setup correctly. Start by trying to get a drop in the sight glass around every 10 seconds and see how that works out from using it. I'd give it a few minutes of running to let it refill the pipes before trying to adjust it. The better dispensers have a level sensor with a light to tell you when its low.

In theory you should get 5000 litres of gas to a 5l bottle of fluid. No idea what sort of mpg the Honda is capable of, but if you know how big the tank is (which you will by filling it) you should be able to check the dose rate from there. I think I worked out I'd get around 20k out of a 5l bottle (its cheaper to buy the 5l bottles usually, but you might want a small one to use for refilling purposes anyway).

Notifications wise it may be you don't have emails configured, if you click the notifications panel at the top, and then settings, you can check whats setup for you there. Emails will send you an email, notification will only tell you when opening the website.
That's all very helpful thanks Brian. Ive ticked all the email boxes and enabled notifications in this thread and will do the same for future ones. 20k for 5l sounds very reasonable and I will be happy with that, its going to last me a couple of years then as I dont use the car for work. I paid £42 (inc £8.99 delivery!) for 5l of the ESGI stuff. time to peruse the new forum.... Happy to say its very encouraging so far.