ASDA Derby just put price up 20p..crazy!

maestro

ASDA Derby just put price up 20p..crazy!

#1 Post by maestro » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:38 pm

whats going on now 72.7p? seems abit extreme..other asdas still around 52.7p..looks like gas price increase worldwide is kicking in

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: ASDA Derby just put price up 20p..crazy!

#2 Post by Brian_H » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:46 pm

Both filllpg and autogas.app show most of the Asda stores that carry gas, are also 72.7 as of a couple of days ago. 20p in one hit is quite a jump, but to be fair, its only gone up to around the minimum level of most other places prices, I'd suspect its partly a case of playing catch up, at least it stayed low for a while so you could take advantage of it. My local cheapest site has been 68.9 for a while, the other local site to me is currently 89.9!

Doesn't help that Derby doesn't have many places left doing gas, I use the Asda there when I'm going that way, but if I can't fill there for any reason (like its random closing times) its near to being a case of no other option around that way now.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#3 Post by Gilbertd » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:53 pm

Most of the Morrisons I regularly use (Wisbech, Wellingborough, Pinchbeck, St Ives, Camborne) have gone up from around 55p to 62.9, still reasonable though. Hopefully they will stay that way.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Avensist

#4 Post by Avensist » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:16 pm

The price barometer I normally use is prices around Birmingham as the competition is fierce there. However, even there, the prices have gone above mid 60p mark so did wonder how long Asda was going to hold it at 52.7. I also filled up at one of the Asda stations for the past 2 months after my usual station put it up 65.9. Like Gillbertd says, Morrisons still reasonable at 62.9 at most places so Asda's 72.9 is a piss take. Though they have held the prices for approx 3 months when others have put it up so trying to re-coup perhaps?

Cambourne is still 57.9 isn't it? (according to both filllpg and mylpg) Need to drive past there in the coming weeks...

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#5 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:33 pm

Don't know about Cambourne, autogas.app says 57.9 but was last updated 09/09 so a bit out of date. The last time I used it was during the great petrol/diesel panic buying spree and had to queue for 20 minutes to get to the pump. I know Wisbech, Pinchbeck and St Ives have gone up for definite as I've used all of them in the last couple of weeks.

But even at nearly 90p a litre, there's quite a few at 89.9 now (Shell Wittering on the A1 and Bourne are two I know of) but still cheaper than £1.45 for petrol.

Avensist

#6 Post by Avensist » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:49 pm

Yeah those expensive ones are always MFGs. At least supermarkets know that lower fuel prices to fill up but also do the shopping at the same time adding more to their profits which MFGs don't seem to understand this consumer behaviour. I often used many stations before they were taken over by MFG but since their take overs, I haven't used any of them.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#7 Post by Brian_H » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:00 pm

Looks like Morrisons have gone upto the same level now if filllpg is any indicator. Also hearing that London Colney Sainsburys pump is due to be removed soon (was filling at London Gateway this evening when a Taxi was opposite side of the pump to me, asking if I knew where else was available locally), though if thats true or not we will see (it rarely seems to be working these days anyway).

Avensist

#8 Post by Avensist » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:09 pm

You're right Brian! Morrisons have upped it. Damn!
Hope London Colney remains. I know it's been out of action for quite sometime now but it was convenient filling it there.

Budgetbond

#9 Post by Budgetbond » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:17 pm

Yeah filled up at my local Morrisons too @ 72.7p after 290 miles last time I filled up there was in the 50's I suppose that's in line with pretty much just about everything else at the mo.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#10 Post by Gilbertd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:31 pm

I filled up at Morrisons in Pinchbech yesterday and it is up to 72.9 and today filled up at Wisbech and found that is also up to 72.9. On Thursday my local Flogas was still at 58p but they are only open Mondy to Friday.

LPGC
Installer

#11 Post by LPGC » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:50 pm

When the average price of petrol in the UK is over 146.6p per litre we should probably expect the price of LPG to be around 73p?

If the price of LPG has been much less than 73p for a long time during which the average price of petrol was more than double - We've just had it better than expected for a long time.

When I describe the benefits of LPG to potential customers I advise expecting to save 40% of running costs, not 60% or more. If we save 60% that's great, but we shouldn't expect that situation to last for long? If it does last for a long time.. Bonus! We've had a bonus and have saved 60% in recent times.

As fuel prices continue to rise and if we continue to save (say) 40% or even better 50%, then we effectively save more than we would have if fuel prices were still low and if we were saving a higher percentage.

This isn't to say that I'm happy about price increases, of course I'm not (and never am).. Just that I might have expected increases earlier. There are some silly high prices these days... for example I saw Texaco (Royal Blue) in Doncaster selling gas at 83ppl the other day and I've heard it's 99p on Isle Of Wight. But keeping it in perspective 83p for LPG is a high price yet is still only 56.6% of the average price of petrol... And I still baulk at the thought of paying 83p for a litre of LPG even though it is only 56.6% of the average price of petrol (which is now E10 which some vehicle owners would rather avoid to instead use super unleaded which is even more expensive).

That expensive price of 83p for LPG, plus we expect to use 10% more LPG than we would petrol, brings it's effective price up (relative to petrol) to 91.3. Which is still only 62% of the cost of running on petrol. I don't often pay 83p, I fill up at least 3 vehicles every week and now usually pay close to 70p for LPG (petrol price comparison say 77p) so I'd still save just over 50% by running on LPG if the vehicles I usually fill could use E10, but really these vehicles shouldn't use E10 (should use high octane super unleaded instead, and some owners also reckon their vehicles are ethanol averse) so if I didn't fill with LPG I'd be filling with super unleaded which is around £1.50 per litre... Effectively I still save over 50% even when paying around 70p for LPG.

I have wondered, though, if suppliers simply pass on the cost of price increases of LPG or if they see the rising cost of petrol and adjust the price of LPG to around half that of petrol regardless of the cost of LPG to themselves. But that said, if the LPG they buy is produced as a by-product of refining petrol we should expect the price of LPG to follow (less around 50%) the price of petrol. Still I don't trust the suppliers... Some forecourts are still selling LPG in the high 50's ppl while others are charging seemingly silly high figures such as high 80's, which makes for around a 50% price difference between the cheaper extreme and the expensive extreme... and in my view only profiteering by vendors (or more likely suppliers) makes for that much of a difference. And the big gas suppliers have been the concern of government in the past for price fixing (but for bulk gas customers such as those that use LPG for home heating). And I believe that the trade body has their suppliers interests at heart, not the consumers and not LPG vehicle consumers. I am surprised that any installers still wish to be a member of said trade body, it does not have their interests (or their customers interests) at heart and it never has. q

Around 7 years ago (iIrc) the price of LPG seemed to be on average around 65% of the price of petrol. The price of petrol was lower back then too, so these days if we still were to pay 65% of the price of petrol we'd still be saving more money than we were back then.

I know I've been a bit vague (for me heh!) with figures etc above but here's an example of what I mean.. To fill a 70L petrol tank with E10 today at 146.6p would cost £102.62. To get the same range on LPG we might need 77L of LPG (10% more LPG litres than petrol litres for same range) which at 73p would cost £56.21, so today we/I might save £46.41 (a 45% saving) by running on 77L of LPG for a given range compared to running on petrol for the same range. There's a guy on another forum I go on who reckons the price of all fossil fuels will double over the next few years, now I don't agree with him but for the sake of this example let's suppose he's right. If the price of LPG were to double it would go to 146p and if the price of petrol were to double it would go to 293.2p. To fill with 70L of petrol would then be £205.24 or to fill with 77L (remember I'm adding 10% over the quantity of petrol here) would cost £112.42... and now we'd save £92.82 to travel the same distance than 70L of petrol would get us. To save the same/original £46.41 to travel the given range LPG could be over £2.10 per litre (or around 72% of the price of petrol) and we'd still save the same as what we save today.

There are not many big suppliers... Which do we know of(?) Calor / Flogas, which other firms? These firms don't make the gas, they don't have refineries AKAIK(?), so they buy it from the refineries and they seem to have the full support of said trade body to charge whatever they like. I have read about government intervention that forced major suppliers to allow home gas customers to be able to switch suppliers (instead of previously suppliers holding customers to long term contracts and paying whatever price the supplier charged) and I have read the explanation on the trade body website which to me seems to whitewash over the apparent price fixing before the legislation (so we know who's side the trade body are on?). But what is to stop a group of people pooling together to form a new gas supplier firm and make an agreement with refineries to buy a large quantity of gas to be delivered and paid for over a set amount of time and then supplying forecourts (existing and new) at a more competitive price than existing suppliers (and not becoming a trade body member)? Any such firm buying LPG in bulk would not have to pay the road duty on it up-front and the road duty is currently around 60p per litre, so if we can buy LPG at a forecourt pump for 73p per litre doesn't that make the up-front actual cost of LPG only 13p per litre? In which case we could but 1 million litres (a big sell for a refinery?) for £130k? Please store it and deliver parts of it when we say / on demand.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#12 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:36 am

Not sure you've got the costings right or I haven't followed your logic, but here is my view. As some may know, since retiring from the day job I've trained, qualified and registered as an F-Gas installer and am now spending some of my time installing air conditioning systems. The last few I have done have been for people that want them for heating, with the cooling aspect on the odd hot day we get, as a bonus. A modern system will heat or cool automatically and give out 3kW of heating for only 600W of electrical input, making them far cheaper to run than electric heating and, so I'm told by the customers, than gas boilers too.

I put a system in for a customer yesterday who has solar panels generating electricity and, being in a rural area with no mains gas, an LPG tank in his front garden. He was complaining that the price of the gas has gone up so he wants to restrict the use of the gas combi boiler to hot water only and use the AC for heating powered by the cheap electricity from his solar panels. His gas is supplied by Avanti, a third supplier besides Calor and Flogas, and I have seen quite a number of tanks with their name on them recently. He is paying £600 for 1400 litres which works out to 43ppl. Now that is LPG supplied for home heating and includes VAT at the reduced rate of 5% so the actual VAT free price of the gas is 41ppl. If buying at that price, being all legit and paying the road fuel duty of 31.61p per kilogram (from https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/fuel-duty), you'd pay around 16p per litre (as Propane weighs 0.51 kg per litre) road fuel duty plus 20% VAT on the total bringing it up to just over 60ppl (41 + 16 x 1.2), roughly the same as I pay at Flogas and less than most filling stations are charging now (I've seen a few, mostly MFG, at 89.9ppl). Like all other examples of VAT on excise goods, you pay VAT on the total price including the duty so a tax on a tax (don't you just love the way Governments have their cake and eat it?). In my mind, that isn't a bad deal.

Almost certainly bulk gas prices will go up, but will track the price of other fuels so the price differential will remain. Worth thinking about for those in areas that are poorly served or restricted to the higher priced outlets in their area.

lawler999

#13 Post by lawler999 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:52 am

Like everyone else has said the prices have jumped up over night .
Prices in Birmingham have increased by at least 20p in one jump, they will probably never go back down to where they were , it was fun while it lasted though .

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#14 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:40 pm

They might, they have in the past. Prices jumped up but then dropped back to where they had been previously, so there's nothing to say they won't again. Prices often rise at this time of year due to the increased demand for home heating. My previous house had oil fired central heating and it was always cheaper to buy it in the summer than wait until the weather started to get cold.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#15 Post by Brian_H » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:49 pm

When I first drove on LPG it was costing me 69.9 per litre. I can remember it peaking around 84.9p then slowly dropping back down until it got to 48.9p (back when petrol was costing around £1 a litre around 5 years ago). Cheapest I've had was 38p a litre by buying with pre-pay at Birmingham autogas for £100 worth. Its currently 68.9 here (for now but probabbly not for long!) at the cheaper of the 2 stations.

Obviously at the moment with the petrol/diesel price being high, you'd expect it to go up a bit. Petrol seems to have gone up around 25-30p a litre over the last year (and seems to be going up by 1p every few days around here, most expensive I've seen is services with £1.699 a litre for regular diesel), but as said above, at least it remained cheaper for longer than would have been expected. Hopefully that will drop again as said, but not a lot you can do about it at as it stands. Its still cheaper than running on petrol in any case.

Avensist

#16 Post by Avensist » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:11 pm

Good old days!! When I first started driving on LPG it was 35p per litre from my local independent. Then, there was that fuel protest or whatever and filling station couldn't get delivery, pretty much similar to what we had few weeks ago, but didn't get affected and still managed to drive around at 35p per litre, I was laughing. My colleagues had to hand back their work because couldn't get petrol or diesel.

Was doing 40,000 miles a year back then on a Romano draw through system fitted to a 1.8 lean burn Toyota Carina E. Occasional 'pop!' and had to stop and re-clip back the air filter box. Though it had a blow-back valve fitted to the box, it still undone the clips when it did popped.

Time line wise, according to my fuelling records, I was filling at around 46p per litre until around 2010 then the prices started to go up and by 2012, it was common to see prices above 70p per litre and the peak seems to be in 2013 hitting around 75p per litre.

2014 started to see prices coming down and started to see 65p per litre and went down further in 2015 when started to see prices like 45p per litre from mainstream forecourts like BP. By winter of 2015 price crept up a bit to around 50p per litre mark and by 2016 to around 55p per litre.

It stayed at more or less around this 55p per litre mark for a very long time, in fact until summer of 2021 when prices started to shoot up to the current prices.

So, as Brian says it can come down, but we got to wait and see...

LPGC
Installer

#17 Post by LPGC » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:29 am

I started off OK in my last post (above), sorry for the rant towards the end. Still, I agree with what I wrote.

In case one of my points was misunderstood - As petrol prices increase, even if we save a lower percentage (than we have been saving) we can still save more money. I.e. Saving 40% of £1.50 per litre is a bigger saving than saving 60% of 90p per litre.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Budgetbond

#18 Post by Budgetbond » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:12 am

Good point raised there Simon and v good and informative post there Avensist, I've obviously not got much experience of the price elasticity of gas and it's relative correlation to petrol but it does vary up and down seasonally anyway doesn't it.
But let's face it it's not just the price of petrol gas and fuel that's gone up across the board recently it's pretty much everything and God knows when they'll go down or stabilise again, at least fuels do have a history of actually going down in price!!!
More of a concern hopefully temporary and not long term too is seemingly the decreasing no. of suppliers in some areas, I don't suppose us as a collective group have any ideas of what we could do about this at all long term?

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#19 Post by Brian_H » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:19 am

In some ways a higher petrol price works in the favour of lpg as the savings are potentially higher. There are other factors that are going on as well though.

As far as a group effort Is concerned, I've no ideas. The folk on here are scattered all over the place, so it's not like you could setup a bulk tank to have your own pump and make it cist effective.

DodgeRover1

#20 Post by DodgeRover1 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:04 pm

Anybody setting up a bulk tank/ filling club in my area (RH13, West Sussex) I would be interested. Wouldn't mind pre paying.