Shell removing lpg

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: Shell removing lpg

#61 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:06 pm

Dived off the M1 at the Luton airport spur heading towards Shell Stopsley in Luton (on the Hitchin Road) as I didn't think I had enough left in the tank to make it to Toddington earlier today. Only to find the pump not working and the tanks missing. Hopefully it's for a refurb and they'll be back but had a choice of going back the way I'd just come from and trying Toddington or carry on and stop at Wyboston so did that. Had to use 20 miles worth of petrol but from the smell of the exhaust, it needed using really. It's been in the tank since September.....
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#62 Post by Brian_H » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:21 pm

FYI Toddington (moto services) is northbound only now, The southbound side has lost its LPG pump (along with the other sites listed in the moto thread). Broughton up off J14 at MK is in same state as Stopsley pump still there but tanks missing. Robert said Witney site was having tanks cleaned? (Suspect maybe tested/painted or similar was the real reason, and the forecourt staff had got their message confused). I haven't been into Broughton (my local) to enquire whats going on there, time will tell either way. It does look like maybe they intend reinstating it, as all the pipework has been left in the compound like they intend to reinstate it. I hope so, as the only site left here working now has just gone up to 79.9 as well.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#63 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:39 pm

I know southbound has gone but I was going home so heading north anyway (to take the A421 across to the A1). Stopsley is the same, pump still there, tank compound and pipework all still there, just no tank(s). I suspect (hope) it might be that with less trade due to lockdown they are taking the opportunity to do maintenance while it's quiet. My missus works for Cummins Generators dealing with spare parts orders and when lockdown first started last year they expected demand to drop as factories worldwide were shutting down. In reality, demand went up as so many places were using the downtime to overhaul their standby generators.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#64 Post by Brian_H » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:02 am

I've just asked at Broughton and theirs is supposed to be back working next week.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#65 Post by Brian_H » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:39 am

Well, its still not working at Broughton, but they now have shiny new looking tanks, and Flogas branding all over the pump that wasn't there before. So I'd guess its waiting on either testing/signoff of the tanks, or a tanker turning up to fill them. Hopefully the same is the case for the other few stations in this group mentioned above.