Shell removing lpg

oxygenic

Re: Shell removing lpg

#21 Post by oxygenic » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 am

Three Shell stations in Stirling area have stopped selling LPG as well.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#22 Post by Brian_H » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 pm

The shell at cribbs causeway at Bristol has gone as well, though at least theres 3 other stations fairly close there, but none of those are 24 hour.

JX350

#23 Post by JX350 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Just seen that Shell at Trerulefoot Roundabout in Cornwall have discontinued it and are removing the pumps. I've also been told that the Shell at Saltash will also discontinue it soon.
Current car: 2003 Jaguar XJ8, 4.2 V8 NA with a Landi Renzo LPG system.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-AcBg ... R_9ym1fuGA

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#24 Post by Brian_H » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:35 pm

JX350 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:20 pm
Just seen that Shell at Trerulefoot Roundabout in Cornwall have discontinued it and are removing the pumps. I've also been told that the Shell at Saltash will also discontinue it soon.
Depends whos been telling you that - Given that particular station is one of the ones supplied by Flogas (it used to do the now-defunct MRH Accumulator card, before it swapped from being Texaco to Shell) those have generally not been affected by this. But there is just no telling unfortunately.

Most of the ones outside Scotland that have disappeared, have done so where a nearby station is offering LPG (usually at a competitive price as well).

The autogas station locator https://autogaslimited.co.uk/43d2-where-to-find-autogas seems to be fairly upto date for their stations, though it still shows Cardon (the one you referred to) the others I know have gone have been removed. But it only shows the ones they supply obviously.

If you haven't already discovered it, www.filllpg.co.uk is a useful resource for station locations.

JX350

#25 Post by JX350 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am

Hi Brian, The station at Saltash (Carkeel) told me when I asked them if they were also removing theirs. They confirmed that they would be. My nearest station will then become either Cornwall Services BP or the BP near Okehampton. Which are both in the opposite direction from my daily drive. Looks like this might force me into changing my car to something available. Shame really.
Current car: 2003 Jaguar XJ8, 4.2 V8 NA with a Landi Renzo LPG system.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-AcBg ... R_9ym1fuGA

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#26 Post by Brian_H » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 pm

Doesn't sound good, though I wouldn't necessarily believe them until you see the pump disappear (after all, their trade might increase given the other forecourt has lost their pump). I've removed 3 stations this week that no longer have their pumps on filllpg that I've been to now.

I can only assume Calor must be close to going bust or just greedy - Their cylinder prices have been getting silly over the last couple of years now, the 19kg ones I use on the space heater and my mate uses for heating his greenhouse are now over £50 for a refill from them. Same size cylinder from Flogas was £32 last time i got one, Birmingham Autogas have them at £17.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#27 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:49 pm

I notice that Calor have changed their logo to that of Primagaz, maybe they are pulling out even though a lot of Shell filling stations still have banners encouraging conversions and giving double points on Autogas?
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#28 Post by Brian_H » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:30 pm

A few of the ones in Scotland still have the autogas sign up above the area where the pump was before they removed it. Double points is nonsense - that stopped with drivers club (which was replaced by Shell go+ last summer) as they don't give you points on litres anymore, its based on visits and from what everyone says, you get much less back than you used to now. But the double points thing I think related to sometime around summer 2018 if not before then, just lazy stations not removing expired promotional material I guess. I've not been using Shell much recently as the closest station to me is BP and upto last week both were the same price for LPG anyway, so it made more sense to go there (and use their somewhat more generous loyalty scheme instead) or use Sainsburys Colney if I was passing by there.

It looks like both companies you mention are part of the same group - SHV energy, https://www.primalng.com/ shows a little more detail, but they both appear to have the same logo now.