Series Land Rover

layfin

Re: Series Land Rover

#21 Post by layfin » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Many thanks for the support. I was completely taken aback by the comments and remarks. It was never my intention to annoy or bother anyone, just wanted some advice. I will root at it again over the weekend and get back to you. Restores my faith in human nature again. Thanks

LPGC
Installer

#22 Post by LPGC » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:00 pm

We're still here layfin and you're welcome ;-)

Been a long time since I last converted a 2.25 Landrover but I've converted a lot of them in the past.

My dad went through a stage in the early 80's of being a Landrover nut, had a couple of LWB series models, free wheeling hubs, safari roof, HD springs, iIrc he fitted a tap on the transfer box so that when oil leaked from the gearbox into the transfer box he could just empty some out and pour it back into the gearbox lol. Towbar on the back and another towbar on the front bumper... Pull one boat to the slipway while at the same time pushing another, unless doing a beach launch which involved first negotiating a rocky track cut out of a cliff face and then negotiating the rocks at the edge of the beach near the track. He later bought a Subaru but there was no way one of those would make it down the cliff track, he and a few mates teamed up and bought a little old tractor to keep at the boating place but that didn't do as well over the rocks as the Landrover and had less grip on slipways even with it's diff-lock engaged.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

layfin

#23 Post by layfin » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Cheers, chat soon.

CNG

#24 Post by CNG » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:37 am

Yup, love mine. It's a piece of utter junk, and I don't think a worse or more impractical vehicle exists - more so for the daily-driver use I put mine. It's dreadful, only christ knows why, yet here I sit, doing 9-10,000 a year in it? Thing is, I've got access to perfectly decent vehicles, and still I drive it.

As for my admittedly uncharitable post, I'm still not sure I've actually got this one entirely wrong. On something as simple as a Series LR, it takes scant information to get to a surefire diagnosis.
ACR.jpg
ACR.jpg (272.52 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Of course pix are not required, yet in the absence of any word, on what happens; and when symptoms stop, where can this thread go? This defies diagnosis.

In the meantime, never been a fan of braided brake-hose, still run rubber, yet I've finally got hold of some stainless brake tube/pipe, and obscure flaring and pipe-cutter tools. The copper stuff is tired, thus with Swagelok fittings at the ready, I'm setting to work on the family-heirloom. Bend it once, Stainless is a b**stard to work with - wish me luck.
Last edited by CNG on Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

layfin

#25 Post by layfin » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:33 pm

CNG, everyone is entitled to their personal opinion but it does not mean that everyone may agree with it. As with all problems, it will eventually be rectified. Perhaps not as quickly as an expert like yourself would do it. However, with the help of more ordinary people I have no doubt that this simple problem will be resolved also. I have no interest in anything further you might have to offer and would appreciate if you did not respond to any more of my queries.

Pinger

#26 Post by Pinger » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:51 am

Float stuck or it's needle valve not properly closing?

layfin

#27 Post by layfin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 pm

I seem to have solved the problem or at least most of it. I started the Land Rover on LPG and brought it to running temperature. I then switched over to petrol and it started acting up as usual. I left it spluttering away while I worked on it, however, the moment I removed the Air Intake Pipe from the top of the Carb it started running perfect. I left that off, closed the bonnet and took it for 30 mile run alternating between LPG and Petrol. Went fine all the way. When I returned I put the pipe back on and it started acting up again straight away. I checked the Air Intake Pipe and the Air Filter for any blockages and all was clear. I left it off and the engine is running fine. Strange one.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#28 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Definitely strange. So where is the mixer fitted? On top of the carb? Without an air filter, or with a free flow like a K&N, a mixer system often won't work, or will go very lean, as there isn't the 'suck' from the engine to draw the gas in.
96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
93 Range Rover 4.2LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
97 Range Rover 4.0SE, multipoint, sold
98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, AEB Leo, daily motor
96 Range Rover 4.6HSE Ascot, AEB Leo, my spare

Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

LPGC
Installer

#29 Post by LPGC » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:10 am

How long have you owned it? Has the current situation always been the same since the LPG system was fitted?
Is the air intake pipe the long narrow type that is standard on some Landrovers?

Both the LPG (mixer) setup and the petrol (carb) setup have mixture effected by restrictions to airflow reaching them, a restriction to incoming air causes slight vacuum at either/both and due to the way an LPG mixer and petrol carb work (effectively both very similar relying on airflow past some internal restriction to cause a very slight vacuum which then sucks the fuel in) the external slight vacuum sees more internal vacuum signal that will suck more LPG into the mixer and/or suck more petrol out of carb jets... E.g. Mixture from a carb can get richer as the air filter gets dirtier and causes a very slight increase in airflow restriction.

The petrol system will originally have been set up to run without the LPG mixer fitted but with the standard air intake fitted. If you removed the standard air intake (so there'd just been an open carb, no air filter) it would run leaner than standard, fit the standard air intake and it would run with correct mixture (assuming the carb was setup properly at the factory with the air intake and filter fitted). The addition of the LPG mixer would make the mixture on petrol richer again. There could be a situation where mixture running on petrol is effected as in the list below...

Standard (so no LPG mixer fitted but with the air intake fitted) - correct mixture.. it's all standard. But you haven't yet tested this state?
No LPG mixer fitted and the air intake removed - lean.. It's standard except you've lost the restriction caused by the original air intake.
LPG mixer fitted and the air intake removed - correct mixture.. You've lost the restriction of the original air intake pipe but gained the restriction of the LPG mixer.
LPG mixer fitted and the air intake fitted - too rich.. You've got the restriction of the original air intake and have also got the additional restriction of the LPG mixer.

It is also very likely to run a bit richer on LPG with the air intake pipe fitted... But the LPG mixer only sees one restriction (the air intake pipe) in front of it where-as the carb has 2 restrictions (the mixer and the air intake pipe). The carb was originally calibrated with the air intake pipe fitted but not with the mixer fitted, the mixer was originally calibrated with the air intake fitted and the carb fitted (though the carb being fitted isn't really relevant to LPG mixture because it doesn't matter much what restrictions are below the point of fuel entry as they don't effect vacuum signal at the point of fuel entry, the LPG just needs the throttle body that is likely part of the carb so you can adjust the throttle).

You may be able to adjust the carb so that mixture is correct with both the LPG mixer and the air intake pipe fitted. But before doing so you may want to experiment to see if it is possible to move the LPG mixer further from the carb to see if that sees mixture on petrol become correct, or try an LPG mixer with a wider venturi.

I seem to vaguely remember I have had problems fitting an appropriate mixer on series Landrovers, I know I've done some welding to modify the metal air intake pipe. I don't remember if the problem was a rusty/holed air intake pipe, or trying to mate the top of the mixer to the metal air intake pipe, or to move the mixer further away from the carb.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

layfin

#30 Post by layfin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:14 pm

Yes, it has the long pipe with a 90 degree bend directly above the Carb and goes to a large cylinder type filter on the opposite side. I have owned it about 10 years and the LPG Kit was installed about 8/9 years ago, however, I have run it on LPG about 90% of the time. As far as I can remember it always run much smoother on LPG but on the rare occasion when I changed over to Petrol it would run ok. Recently however, it would just not run properly at all on Petrol. The only thing that I can put it down to was the lack of use on Petrol. I changed nothing that should have made any difference. At the moment I am running it without any filter and it is running fine on both LPG and Petrol.

Pinger

#31 Post by Pinger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Can you verify that it is running rich by engaging the choke and making it worse?

LPGC
Installer

#32 Post by LPGC » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:15 pm

Got to wonder if the carb would be ready for a rebuild anyway... It is 37 years old and has effectively been stood without petrol in it for 10 years. The seals in it, and/or it's fuel lines, may not be ethanol compatible.

I'm not sure what carb is on it but it would only take something like a float bowl over-filling for it to provide too rich mixture.
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

layfin

#33 Post by layfin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:20 pm

I need to engage the choke to start it from cold on petrol but need to shut it off within a very short period to keep it running. I fitter a new carb when I restored it about 10 years ago.

layfin

#34 Post by layfin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:22 pm

Once I disengage the choke it runs fine, even when cold.

LPGC
Installer

#35 Post by LPGC » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:48 am

Anything wrong with the old carb that prompted you to change it?
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

layfin

#36 Post by layfin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 am

Not really, just thought that a new one would make it run smoother but did not make much difference.

layfin

#37 Post by layfin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:01 pm

It has a Solex 361V Carb.