King ecu solenoid issues

hitman2

Re: King ecu solenoid issues

#21 Post by hitman2 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:27 am

Its totally bypassing the lpg ecu, I've took a 12v live when ignition is on and an earth, the solenoid on the lpg valve pulls the plunger in fine when not screwed into the reducer, it also pulls in fine on first insertion into the reducer, after that it fails to open. The coil has a steady 13.6v and it still won't pull the plunger to allow gas through.

Its got me beat, I've tried swapping internals from the rear valve and the rear one works okay with internals swapped but front same again one go and then nothing doing. 🙄

hitman2

#22 Post by hitman2 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:25 pm

Tried some experiments this morning, appears that once the solenoid coil gets hot (too hot to handle for long) the magnetic affect is over ridden by the spring in the plunger, worked well about 20 times until the solenoid got hot, then fails to have enough magnetism to open the valve.
Internals removed from the valve for good now 🙄

LPGC
Installer

#23 Post by LPGC » Fri May 14, 2021 4:31 pm

Reads like the solenoid coil is partially short circuited, decreasing it's resistance so it pulls more amps than it should and makes more heat.. Then maybe when it's hot it goes open circuit or resistance increases and lower amps through fewer coils has less magnetic pull... It shouldn't get too hot to touch - Change the coil ;-)
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

hitman2

#24 Post by hitman2 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:55 am

Hi Simon, this is the new coil 😂

Just pulled up some temps this morning after 10 mins running coil is up to 78 deg, valve opens and closes ok.
After another 10 mins coil is up to 90 degrees valve becomes inoperable, so if this is not the normal temperature of the coil maybe the one supplied is goosed?