AC Stag shows empty when full

Jeepwrangler

AC Stag shows empty when full

#1 Post by Jeepwrangler » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Dear all. Just bought a Jeep with the 300 system installed. The led gauge shows empty. I’ve just filled the tank. The gauge on the tank shows full. But pressing the button on the gauge in the car won’t get the system started. It shows red.

Any obvious things I should check before taking to the dealer?
Thank you.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: AC Stag shows empty when full

#2 Post by Brian_H » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:18 pm

It may not really be reflecting the level of the tank, but more that something is stopping it switching to gas. Some systems (not sure if the stag is one of them) will show an indication of progress towards switching temp by the amount of lights shown on the switch. If it stays like that and doesn't attempt to switch, its seeing something wrong. Most things will cause an error and beeping, temperature won't.

Note that its typical for the vapouriser to be plumbed into the heater circuit. It would be an idea to check you have enough coolant in the system before anything else. Otherwise its either not getting coolant to the vapouriser for some reason, or a busted temperature sensor may be the issue.

LPGC
Installer

#3 Post by LPGC » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:48 am

As I read it you've looked at the sender unit on the tank itself and seen that the gauge there has moved from empty to full when you've filled the tank but the switch on the dash only shows a single red LED regardless?

You did try pressing the switch with the engine running and warmed up?

What happens when you press the switch... Does the light come on, go out, flash, etc, does pressing the switch make any difference at all? Any beeping noises?

Stag300 can't show how close to switching to gas it is on the switch from cold start, in fact only a surprisingly small minority of systems can do that.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Jeepwrangler

#4 Post by Jeepwrangler » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:32 pm

Weirdly I think it’s kicked in. Even though it shows it’s on reserve on the cockpit switch

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#5 Post by Brian_H » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:32 pm

I'd suspect either the tank gauge is broken, or the wiring to it if its switching across ok. Or it hasn't been setup right. Gauge won't stop it switching though either way. If the system works well the transition between fuels should be smooth/barely noticable, with the switch lights being the only obvious source of which fuel is being used.

disco stu

#6 Post by disco stu » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 pm

If you have the cable and software you can change the voltages sent by the tank sender for empty and full, and also change it from falling to rising if it's back the front.

There is also a method you can use when filling up. Can't remember it exactly, but you hold down the switching button while turning off ignition or similar. Then fill it up, and it's the bottom once and it auto calibrate the gauge somewhat. It's in the instruction manual that is online. I'll try and find details later
Mitsubishi Pajero 1999 3.5L-AC Stag 300 ISA2
Toyota Camry 3.0L Tartarini tec99 Evolution

Jeepwrangler

#7 Post by Jeepwrangler » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am

Ace! Thank you. I don’t have a PC. Just a Mac. So no gravy with the cable. I’d appreciate an expansion on your filling tips though

disco stu

#8 Post by disco stu » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:53 pm

Forgot to do it earlier, sorry. Cant copy paste from the PDF. This is from the manual for Stag 300, ISA2 and premium

Procedure:
-Press and hold the switching button and turn off ignition while holding it in
-press the button once more once the ignition is off
-LED indicator will flash after this
-Fill the car as normal
-On switching on ignition after filling, level indicator will scroll from empty to full two times if successful
-If not successful it will scroll through 5 times, or something to that effect.

it worked fine the first time for me so can't comment on the failure part
Mitsubishi Pajero 1999 3.5L-AC Stag 300 ISA2
Toyota Camry 3.0L Tartarini tec99 Evolution