Prins assistance in Kent

Asentrix

Prins assistance in Kent

#1 Post by Asentrix » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:37 am

I've got an American RV which was converted to a Prins VSI 2 system in 2015. We got the RV a year ago and the LPG system has been fine, however, in the last few days it's shown the critical error display on the fuel switch.

We're having trouble finding someone who can read the VSI 2 computer who's mobile or based in Kent - any suggestions? At the moment our primary alternative is to rip it out and replace it all with Zavoli or similar.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: Prins assistance in Kent

#2 Post by Brian_H » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:05 pm

Have you tried these https://medwaydualfuel.co.uk/ Found via https://www.drivelpg.co.uk/approved-ins ... installer/

Can't recommend them or advise against them, but they are listed as installers for Prins and are in Kent. There may be other installers around but I don't know of a way to locate them easily.

Prins can be a bit of a problem as far as access to the system as they are difficult with access to the genuine software, and the 3rd party Bexprins is said to have/cause issues.

If you were willing to travel further, I'd suggest LPGC on here, as he would be able to fix it, but hes in Yorkshire.

Asentrix

#3 Post by Asentrix » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but as yet they haven’t answered any phone calls. They might just be on a long New Years break though and I will keep trying.

I would travel if I thought the system would be easily fixed, but at over £1/mile on petrol it’s hard to justify vs paying someone to come here or a front end replacement with a non-Prins system.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#4 Post by Brian_H » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Asentrix wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:35 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, but as yet they haven’t answered any phone calls. They might just be on a long New Years break though and I will keep trying.

I would travel if I thought the system would be easily fixed, but at over £1/mile on petrol it’s hard to justify vs paying someone to come here or a front end replacement with a non-Prins system.
Yep, understand where your coming from on it. Personally I've made sure to have access to the diagnostic software to avoid that sort of issue and thats the main reason I'd avoid both Prins and BRC. You should be able to reuse the injectors and vapouriser though (provided they aren't the actual fault of course) just needing to replace the ecu and wiring loom, and the pressure sensor (which should come with the ecu and loom kit anyway).

Some ecus (and I can't say for sure if prins is one of them) have a service interval setting - which effectively forces a visit to an installer to give the system a check over after a specified time and locks the system out until its reset, It may be something as simple as that if your lucky, but that will require the software to reset...

Asentrix

#5 Post by Asentrix » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Brian_H wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 pm
Some ecus (and I can't say for sure if prins is one of them) have a service interval setting - which effectively forces a visit to an installer to give the system a check over after a specified time and locks the system out until its reset, It may be something as simple as that if your lucky, but that will require the software to reset...
Yes, I’m a proponent of open source wherever possible, and these proprietary shenanigans, and especially a ‘call home to dealer’ option makes me very tempted to rip it out. Though I don’t know how much of the system I can keep, the local independent shop would replace the entire front end.

LPGC
Installer

#6 Post by LPGC » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:40 am

VSI2 is probably the most proprietary LPG system ever, each time an installer uses software they have to have an internet connection to Prins HQ... which rules out none dealers (including myself) from using software. Maybe I'll ask my son to crack the software lol.

Dealers familiar with VSI1 are familiar with only having to adjust a few settings to set calibration (in VSI1), VSI2 has a far greater number of settings that need to be set properly, a similar number of settings to most other LPG ECU's. My view is that the least likely people to get good results from VSI2 are the only people Prins allows to use VSI2 software, bad for customers and bad for Prins the manufacturer (achieving the exact opposite of what they might hope).

BRC GB used to have a similar policy to Prins of only supplying to their dealer network - I told them it was a bad idea, they had board room meetings about it but stayed with the same policy, no surprise to me when they went under. They asked 'new installers' (new to them) to pay £1000 up front for 'training' (you'd eventually get the £1000 back in discounts over many purchases). Apparently I was the only none member who they would supply or deal with and the reason for that was because they knew I could put right new BRC installs and fix old installs when member installers had tried and failed (probably saving their tech support guy a visit to one of their installers)... and I never paid them £1000 for 'training' (that would have been ridiculous!). They used to have a receptionist with little tech knowledge and you might get a call back from someone who knew what they were talking about and able to sell you bits later the same day if you were lucky. In contrast the new importer of BRC, Tinleytech, will sell bits to anyone and the person who picks the phone up will know what you're talking about and be able to sell you bits in the same call - far better.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#7 Post by Brian_H » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Asentrix wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 pm
Brian_H wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:00 pm
Yes, I’m a proponent of open source wherever possible, and these proprietary shenanigans, and especially a ‘call home to dealer’ option makes me very tempted to rip it out. Though I don’t know how much of the system I can keep, the local independent shop would replace the entire front end.
There may be good reasons for doing so, but bear in mind that the old hardware does have some value as well, Depending whats failed of course. I can't confirm if the Prins system has this - I know a few others do, but those can be configured by anyone with the lead and access, Simon's post above this one suggests that VSI2 is even more of a closed system than I'd realised, so can understand wanting to bin it before it does this sort of thing again. It may be the local shop is giving you an option which is safe for them as well (quote you for the whole front end as worst case scenearo and then see once they get to look at it what the problem is and if anything can be kept of the front end kit)

LPGC
Installer

#8 Post by LPGC » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:46 pm

If it was VSI1 you could buy the (specific) interface cable, maybe a copy of Bexprins, or someone might give you a copy of Prins software with passwords etc ;-) But with VSI2 it's no good even buying the interface and software, nobody can give you a password for it because it has to be activated by an internet connection to Prins on each use and Prins will only do that if you're one of their installer members. Still, if it isn't a case of the VSI2 ECU firmware generating some code that then needs a code reply from Prins, would expect someone to crack the VSI2 software.

I remember being told by a Prins importer that they couldn't believe the new novel features in VSI2, like being able to switch individual cylinders back to petrol and being able to set a different multiplier at different load points.. I replied "Like just about every other system then"!
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

Asentrix

#9 Post by Asentrix » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:24 pm

Thankfully I was able to get hold of Medway Dual Fuel in the end and they very helpfully came out and diagnosed a dodgy solenoid. I haven't had any errors since, though the system 'stumbled', and switched back to petrol and then straight back to LPG a second later without registering a diagnostic issue (the laptop was linked up and recording at the time), so the Prins system may still get binned next year.

LPGC
Installer

#10 Post by LPGC » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks for the update, a lot of people don't bother once their system is fixed.
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,