Advice please

tfsw00

Advice please

#1 Post by tfsw00 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:46 pm

Hi All,
I am considering fitting an lpg system to my 2006 avensis 1.8 vvt, can anyone suggest a reasonably priced kit and also how to get a certificate for dvla.
I believe with a little help that I should be able to undertake the fitting myself as I have been restoring vehicles for over 30 years and consider myself competent, but I don't know it all and welcome any help offered.
thank you all for your time and suggestions.
Stuart

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: Advice please

#2 Post by Brian_H » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:51 pm

To get any sort of certificate you'd need it inspected by an installer willing to offer a certificate. Simon (LPGC on this forum) may be able to help you with both the kit you need and the certification after its fitted, find one of his posts and its got details in his signature of his contact details and website. Note that the certificate required by DVLA is slightly different to what your insurer might need, so it will help to understand that (there is a separate scheme which some insurers like which registers your vehicle on www.drivelpg.co.uk but its got no legal standing whatsoever, So it can be worth checking with your insurance company as to what they require - Your best to ask what they require you to get from your installer, rather than saying your going to install the kit yourself though - overall result is the same, but most insurance company call centre staff won't have much of a clue and will run a mile as soon as you mention installing it yourself).

The VVT engines generally take a more precise method of calibration to get good results from whats said on here, Simon would be a good bet for doing this as well.

Depending where you are located, there may be a more local installer to you, but alot of them won't sort what you want necessarily. Some of the better suppliers (Tinley tech for example) might be worth getting in touch with about both points as well.

tfsw00

#3 Post by tfsw00 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your reply, the insurance isn't an issue, it's a trade policy and the company knows what I do and what I want to do.
The certificate is so that it can be registered as an alternative fuel vehicle, dvla accepted a fitting certificate when they changed the fuel status of my lexus.
My location is just outside Glasgow,so not many round here doing anything, not like back in the 90's when every man and their dog was converting the taxi's to gas.
Thanks again
stuart

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#4 Post by Brian_H » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:42 pm

That makes it somewhat simpler then, He would be able to offer you a certificate and supply kit suited to the vehicle, though might be a bit far for you (South Elmsall) but could be worth getting in touch with him either way (of course if you end up down that way, that might be an easier option than it appears)

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#5 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:36 am

DVLA accepted a copy of the invoice for the install on my car, so that is simple enough. South Emsall isn't actually that far from Glasgow, when I was driving up there for the Commonwealth Games in 2014, I would fill up in Glasgow and then stop at Simon's local Morrisons for a top up to get me the rest of the way home.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.