LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:03 pm 

inditime wrote:
If i went with my cheap non-lpg insurer...Morethan, on confused all is good and cheap. But they will whack on an £80 premium for a conversion.

Only just seen this post so it may now be too late for you, but I can absolutely and categorically say that MoreThan DO insure LPG cars - they've been covering mine for more than two years!! And not only that, they actually give a 10% discount on the premium for LPG.

See the 4th post down on the first page of this very thread - I posted that in October 2008.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:15 am 

sorcerer wrote:
inditime wrote:
If i went with my cheap non-lpg insurer...Morethan, on confused all is good and cheap. But they will whack on an £80 premium for a conversion.

Only just seen this post so it may now be too late for you, but I can absolutely and categorically say that MoreThan DO insure LPG cars - they've been covering mine for more than two years!! And not only that, they actually give a 10% discount on the premium for LPG.

See the 4th post down on the first page of this very thread - I posted that in October 2008.

I just rang More Than, asked them what there LPG conversion policy was for modified cars. They didnt know what lpg was.......so who do I really need to speak with?

Also spoke to LVE, they insure at no extra premium and don't ask for a certificate, and don't mention anything about approved fitters.

Just looked on the UKLPG website and those insurers are on there, who have signed up for this online registration. Most main lpg fitter companies arent registered, so how do they get round the no certificate requirement. It's a minefield.
I've DIY converted my car iaw COP11, i have informed my insurer and have a new policy and certificate stating a LPG modification.
Now I'm stuck as to where to go from here to get a valid certificate or online registration (since July 2010, certificates are invalid for LVE), but yet again their own Customer Services don't know about it.

I'm glad my car is old and cheap that I could possibly either repair it myself or buy another car should my insurance be void by this nightmare of an insurance wrangling minefield.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:01 pm 

There will always be a insurance company somewhere that will take our money no matter what the big boys do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:38 am 

inditime wrote:
sorcerer wrote:
inditime wrote:

I just rang More Than, asked them what there LPG conversion policy was for modified cars. They didnt know what lpg was.......so who do I really need to speak with?

Well, here's a letter from them to me at renewal time - try talking to Lynne Watson, Customer Manager: Oh, and I should say that my car was NOT converted by an LPGA Approved Installer but I was given a Certificate of Conformity. Now, if/when MoreThan join the LPGA register thingy, I'll have to take it to an LPGA Approved guy and get them to do a check to get it on the new register.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:38 am 

To insure an LPG car all you need to do is complete an online delaration for a quote on any of the price comparision web sites or on the insurers own web site. Personally I just went online to the LV web site filled in the form ticked the box for LPG conversion box in the modifications section --- job done. I have been insured for 2 years with LV they don't charge a penny extra for the LPG conversion and are noticeable cheaper than my previous insurer More Than and the terms of the cover are better than More Than.

I live in an urban area and I am currently paying £233 per annum for a 1.8 litre Rover 75.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:04 am 

I usually get my annual insurance at c£200 or just under, on a (old - 1996) BMW 520 auto (that's a 5 series 2.0 litre). I am on max discount, and use Confused.com every year. I am 6 months into my current policy with Admiral and am having the car converted next week.

Admiral don't want a certificate, haven't asked if the installer is 'approved' (he is), and want £21, I don't know if that is an increase in the premium or just a charge to vary the policy. They were very easy about it over the phone. It seemed reasonable so I just paid it.

I'll update this post when I get all the paperwork through in case it says something different.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:01 pm 

junkcatcher wrote:
I have been insured for 2 years with LV they don't charge a penny extra for the LPG conversion and are noticeable cheaper than my previous insurer More Than and the terms of the cover are better than More Than.

I live in an urban area and I am currently paying £233 per annum for a 1.8 litre Rover 75.

And yet for me, LV were about £150 per annum more expensive than MoreThan. I live in a suburban area but I do drive a top of the range 3.0 V6 Nissan that's quite rare - I'll bet there's probably no more than about 300 UK-wide these days, which makes the cost of parts high.

That's the thing about motor insurance - too many variables and the fact that they'll squeeze you until you squeak for premiums and then try any way to avoid paying out when they should. Legalised robbery - at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask :x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:15 pm 

djprin wrote:
I usually get my annual insurance at c£200 or just under, on a (old - 1996) BMW 520 auto (that's a 5 series 2.0 litre). I am on max discount, and use Confused.com every year. I am 6 months into my current policy with Admiral and am having the car converted next week.

Admiral don't want a certificate, haven't asked if the installer is 'approved' (he is), and want £21, I don't know if that is an increase in the premium or just a charge to vary the policy. They were very easy about it over the phone. It seemed reasonable so I just paid it.

I'll update this post when I get all the paperwork through in case it says something different.

Dave

You should send Admiral a copy of the LPGA certificate when you get it. Admiral bugged me for this a few weeks after the voice on the phone said I did'nt need one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:04 pm 

Well it has been a month now and Admiral haven't been in touch - no paperwork. So I'm not going to disturb this desirable state of affairs.

In any case, they would have to wait for the lpg Certificate to come back from the DVLA. I made the mistake of asking the DVLA and this was in the reply I got:

[partial quote]
Although the taxation class of your vehicle will not be affected, you will need to send your V5C registration certificate with a covering letter, to the following address: DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BA.

You will also need to enclose evidence of the modification, which should be in the form of:
* written confirmation from the manufacturer
* an inspection report from a recognised body such as the RAC, the AA
* confirmation from a garage
* registration reciept from the garage/installer that completed the conversion

Regards

Mrs L Beynon
Customer Enquiries Group
DVLA

[/quote]

Well, after I got back up off the floor I decided that Mrs Beynon is worse informed than I am. The DVLA will be getting the V5C changed & signed, the installer's invoice & the Certificate, and that's all! Why the DVLA thinks that BMW or Zavoli would be interested in my old banger is a mystery. And the AA won't repair the lpg installation, so I doubt they would want to certify it.

Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:21 pm 

Is that a list of things they want to see or should the word 'or' be in there. I think they want to see at least one of the above, rather than all of the above. I'm about to transfer a personal plate off my Saab so will take the opportunity to alter the fuel type on the V5 (as it still says petrol). I'll let everyone know what my local DVLA office considers to be sufficient. All I currently have for it is a safety test certificate that was issued before I bought the car.

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:33 pm 

Ah, you are so wise. Latest email from DVLA confirms what you say:

Quote:
I apologise for any confusion, any one of the 4 would be acceptable.

Regards
R Jones
Customer Enquiries Group
DVLA

Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:34 am 

I would recommend sending a copy of your certificate to DVLA and not the original. talking from experience with a number of customers, DVLA are rather good at losing them

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:09 pm 
Intermediate Member

Directline have quoted me renewal of current insurance at £806 inc monthly d/d premium & legal cover & protected ncd & guaranteed courtesy car. After much hunting around I have got the same from Aviva for £488. I am very impressed with that, saving me over £300.

Check them out if you're looking for a quote, they not on the price comparison sites. https://www.ukdi.qs.aviva.co.uk/quote/RetailQB/car/Default.aspx?source=e400

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:01 pm 

Hi guys, Im resurecting an old thread, but with good reason.

I was/am just about ready to pull the trigger in terms of getting my conversion. BUT, I rang my insurer 'Bell' (A part of admiral), to check how much my policy would go up. Which turned out to be £40 by the way.

And they told me the insurance on my car would only be valid if the modification was carried out by the vehicle manufacturer, and this goes for all modifications incidentally.

So... if I have a crash, or someone crashes into me, regardless of the damage they would NOT pay out on any claim if I had LPG which was installed by a third party. Even though they offer to insure LPG, and have an LPG tick box on their online modifications form.

I urge EVERYONE else who has or is thinking of having LPG to check this with their insurer (and report back if possible).

As a result, it doesnt look like LPG is happening for me!
Ger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:36 pm 

gerlewis wrote:
And they told me the insurance on my car would only be valid if the modification was carried out by the vehicle manufacturer, and this goes for all modifications incidentally.
Vehicle manufacturers manufacture vehicles, they don't modify them. Your insurers will obviously cover factory conversions but they wouldn't class those as a modification, so why do they have an option for modifications? I think somebody has got their knickers in a twist here.
gerlewis wrote:
As a result, it doesnt look like LPG is happening for me!
Why not? Even if you have to pay a higher insurance premium by going elsewhere, you'll still be saving on running costs. I suspect if you phone them and say you will be taking your business elsewhere because they won't insure a professionally converted LPG car, they may well find somebody that does understand what they will and won't do.

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next