LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:39 pm 

I am about to service my BRC LPG system fitted to my Mercedes W220 S320, I am assuming that replacing the two filters is basically what needs to be done? anyone done this service themselves, what is the installation procedure, I am uncertain as to what the exact filters are that I need, when I put the model numbers into ebay I got different options for the bore of the pipe fitting for the same filter, and also that there are two types of fitment for the other filter. have uploaded two photos to Flickr of what I take to be the two filters that need to be changed, any advice would be welcome.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcsk9W7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:01 pm 
Intermediate Member

The large cylinder filter is a basic vapour filter, nothing more. It looks like you have the same size hose both sides, I would guess its a 12/12 mm fitting though I can't tell for sure, its as simple as either looking on the hose to see what size the hose is, or removing a connection and measuring across it (the internal diameter is what your interested in there)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm 
Installer

Looks like you have a BRC system (going on the pic of the BRC liquid phase filter solenoid), this is a bit more fiddly than most regards changing it's filter cartridge. Your vapour filter isn't a BRC filter, it'll just be a 12mm in/out or 16mm in/out filter. as easy to change as any, just shift the spring clips further along the pipe and insert another filter. BRC branded vapour filters are more of a pita, you have to mess with circlips to get at the internal filter... If you have a BRC system it's likely the original BRC vapour filter was changed to your more generic filter to avoid the faff.

If you're having problems with your LPG system bare in mind that changing filters is unlikely to solve them, changing filters is preventative maintenance.

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:16 am 

LPGC wrote:
Looks like you have a BRC system (going on the pic of the BRC liquid phase filter solenoid), this is a bit more fiddly than most regards changing it's filter cartridge. Your vapour filter isn't a BRC filter, it'll just be a 12mm in/out or 16mm in/out filter. as easy to change as any, just shift the spring clips further along the pipe and insert another filter. BRC branded vapour filters are more of a pita, you have to mess with circlips to get at the internal filter... If you have a BRC system it's likely the original BRC vapour filter was changed to your more generic filter to avoid the faff.

If you're having problems with your LPG system bare in mind that changing filters is unlikely to solve them, changing filters is preventative maintenance.

Thanks to both of you for answering my question, in regards to changing the filters I am assuming the system is pressurised is there anything I need to unplug prior to the filter removal, also when the filters have been fitted will there be a period of rough running until the gas has come through, I have not done this filter change before but I know it needs doing and fancy having a go myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:30 pm 
Intermediate Member

Yes there will be some pressure there - The one in the vapour pipe (the larger one) might pop as you take it off but nothing to worry about there. The other one in the solenoid housing likely to be more pressurised with liquid, easiest way to remove the excess pressure is to disconnect the tank solenoid from the wiring (just pull one wire off or disconnect the connector as appropriate) and let it run until it switches back to petrol. If your loosening any of the connections on the liquid feed then do so slowly to let pressure off gradually (and beware that any LPG allowed to leak from that side will be cold so avoid getting in contact with it) - I don't know if you will need to loosen them with your kind of filter housing there, Simon will probably be able to tell you?

Its best done outside - away from any drains/pits etc.

It may well stall the first time it tries to switch to gas - due to the system being full of air. Just try to switch again and it should be OK the second time.

As Simon suggested above don't expect changing filters to solve problems - They rarely get changed when recommended as they don't really get clogged up anyway, it should run as it did before after changing them (once any air is out of the system). Its not a bad idea to change them though as preventative maintenance just in case they have caught anything though.

Some soapy water, or proper leak detection spray isn't a bad idea if you want to make sure you haven't got any leaks afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:05 pm 

Brian_H wrote:
Yes there will be some pressure there - The one in the vapour pipe (the larger one) might pop as you take it off but nothing to worry about there. The other one in the solenoid housing likely to be more pressurised with liquid, easiest way to remove the excess pressure is to disconnect the tank solenoid from the wiring (just pull one wire off or disconnect the connector as appropriate) and let it run until it switches back to petrol. If your loosening any of the connections on the liquid feed then do so slowly to let pressure off gradually (and beware that any LPG allowed to leak from that side will be cold so avoid getting in contact with it) - I don't know if you will need to loosen them with your kind of filter housing there, Simon will probably be able to tell you?

It may well stall the first time it tries to switch to gas - due to the system being full of air. Just try to switch again and it should be OK the second time.

As Simon suggested above don't expect changing filters to solve problems - They rarely get changed when recommended as they don't really get clogged up anyway, it should run as it did before after changing them (once any air is out of the system). Its not a bad idea to change them though as preventative maintenance just in case they have caught anything though.

Some soapy water, or proper leak detection spray isn't a bad idea if you want to make sure you haven't got any leaks afterwards.

Thanks Brian, you mention "disconnect the tank solenoid from the wiring" am I doing this while the engine is running to drain the gas? also the "solenoid housing filter" are the filters of the same type and shape? when I looked on ebay there seemed to be two different types, can I tell which type I will have by looking at the housing? I want to order the correct parts before I attempt this filter service.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:12 pm 
Intermediate Member

bladerunner2125 wrote:
Brian_H wrote:

Thanks Brian, you mention "disconnect the tank solenoid from the wiring" am I doing this while the engine is running to drain the gas? also the "solenoid housing filter" are the filters of the same type and shape? when I looked on ebay there seemed to be two different types, can I tell which type I will have by looking at the housing? I want to order the correct parts before I attempt this filter service.

Either while its running or run it afterwards - I don't think it will throw an error on doing so, but shouldn't do any harm at any rate, your just looking to use the gas up in the line and hence get rid of the pressure in doing so. See if Simon comes back with an answer on the other points you ask I don't know.

The alternative if it does throw an error is to slacken the pipe that leads into the filter housing, but you may not need to do this (some hold the filter in an area where its under pressure, others don't, Again Simon could advise on that).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:18 am 
Installer

It won't throw an error if you electrically disconnect the tank solenoid.

Filter solenoid seems just standard BRC, look on TinleyTech's site and find the filter that matches your filter solenoid model.

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon