LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 pm 

Total newbie here :oops:
I have had my Peugeot 406 2.2 petrol coupe for 4 years ( i got the LPG install done ).
I got some Brisk LPG spark plugs for ebay ( same ebayer as the interface kit below ), i did not get my LPG system tuned so i got misfiring after a few weeks.
I put my old spark plugs in and all was ok.
I now want to clean the Brisk spark plugs and use them on my coupe, but from what i understand my LPG system will run rich with the new plugs hence why i bought the LPG interface kit.
I thought i would buy a USB interface kit to fine tune my LPG system, i bought this one from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360373640237?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Has anyone got the latest Zavoli software ( on the disc sent with the zavoli interface kit it has 6.0.3.308 IC software ) ?
A link to newer software would be nice :D or can anyone email it to me please
wayne@inbox.com
Is their any newer software and a how to tune my Zavoli system ?
I have seen auto calibrate in the software but not sure if it will mess the LPG system up.
At the moment i am getting 200 miles to £38 of LPG at 77p a litre.
I think the LPG fuel consumption is a bit high.
Any help at all with any of the above would be apreciated :D
Sorry for the long post :o

Last edited by jacko17 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:31 pm 
Intermediate Member

Your fuel consumption sounds about right to me.
If you search through my threads till you find "Zavoli diy conversion" you will find info on set-up given by a installer who frequents on here.
I have found my system sensitive to new plugs or filter change and it's best to do a re-programme after service parts are fited.
I think you can download the latest software from the net although that info is also in the thread I mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 pm 
Intermediate Member

If it misfired on the Brisk plugs but ran properly on the original plugs I would say your engine simply doesn't like the Brisk plugs. You can't tune out a misfire, it is either right or it isn't.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:25 am 

Gilbertd wrote:
If it misfired on the Brisk plugs but ran properly on the original plugs I would say your engine simply doesn't like the Brisk plugs. You can't tune out a misfire, it is either right or it isn't.

Thanks for your replies guys :D

The Brisk plugs were fine for a few weeks then a misfire and rough running on LPG started to happen.
The guy at WTV-UK said it was because i did not retune my LPG system to the new Brisk plugs and they must be fouled now ( looked ok to me ).
He said the LPG will run to rich with the new plugs and needs retuning to suit the new Brisk plugs, hence me buying a interface kit from him ( i wonder if he visits this forum and can help me ).
I have not used the interface kit on the car yet ( its in for an MOT today ).
Does anyone know where in the Zavoli software i need to look at detuning / altering the LPG to run a bit weaker to suit the new Brisk spark plugs ?
And what to adjust under the bonnet to retune the LPG system ?
Once again thanks for any help given :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:16 am 
Intermediate Member

As far as I know, Keith isn't on here, unless as a 'lurker'.

I also can't see (unless I am missing something fundemental) how one make of spark plugs requires a significantly weaker mixture to function correctly. Or are WTV saying that the different spark plugs will actually cause a richer mixture? Either way I cannot see that this is the case. The lambda sensor (assuming it's functioning correctly) will feedback to the ECU to ensure a correct air/fuel ratio.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Admin

i know Tinley lurk 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:21 am 
Installer

I think the theory is that 'pants' plugs cause incomplete combustion. If a running system is adjusted (or self-adjusts) under those conditions for best performance, it will add a bit more fuel to compensate for incomplete combustion.
If 'miracle' plugs are now fitted the theory is that combustion is improved, so a little too much fuel is being added.

Not convinced about all that mesself. The problem with the theory is that, if it did cause the miracle plugs to become partly fouled, there would then be incomplete combustion and the system would end up back where it started before the miracle plugs were fitted i.e. running fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:21 pm 

Update,
I ran the version 6.0.3.308 IC Zavoli software and saved the ecu data.
The software on my LPG ECU is version 13 is this the latest one available ?
I can see 3 later dated files than when my car was convetted 4 years ago in the Zavoli software when i use the REPROGRAM option and try to load one in )

I looked at the petrol trim and it was hovering between 5.2 and 5.6, the LPG gas trim was 4.2 and 4.8
Am i right in saying that both trims should be the same ?
If they do i guess thats why i get a ECU light on my dash :shock:
Can anyone tell me how to get the trims to run at the same level ?
Also how do i know how lean or rich the gas is running ?
I want to use the brisk spark plugs but i do not know how to weaken the mixture slightly, as i have said above the mixture needs weakening slightly ( according to WTV-UK ).
I hope the above makes sense to someone :?

If anone needs the Zavoli software i have listed above PM me your email address to send it to you :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 pm 
Installer

jacko17 wrote:
I can see 3 later dated files than when my car was convetted 4 years ago

Don't expect later firmware to make it go any quicker. Firmware updates are almost always about catering for later hardware versions that you won't have and so don't need need the firmware.
Bear in mind if you attempt to reflash any device (mobile phone etc.) there is always a risk of failure. Your car your choice, but maybe establish a tangible benefit before taking the risk.

jacko17 wrote:
I looked at the petrol trim and it was hovering between 5.2 and 5.6, the LPG gas trim was 4.2 and 4.8
Am i right in saying that both trims should be the same ?

Trims should be much the same on either fuel. If you have around 5.4% on petrol and 4.6% on gas you won't get much better than that.
But the numbers you quote don't sound like trim percentages at all ; are those the injector opening times in mS? If so, no they they shouldn't be the same.

jacko17 wrote:
If they do i guess thats why i get a ECU light on my dash :shock:

Who knows ; you need to read the code to find out.

jacko17 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to get the trims to run at the same level ?

I think we first need to establish if you are really looking at trims. You won't see them on your older gas system, OBD connection options are a more recent innovation. There are ways around that if you don't have access to OBD live data.

jacko17 wrote:
If anone needs the Zavoli software i have listed above PM me your email address to send it to you :D

Be careful bandying about other people's copyright products. It may well be on free issue from here and there, but that's someones else's risk not yours.